Paradox Development Studio have released another big free content update to the empire building game Europa Universalis IV.
The 1.29 Manchu update went live yesterday with these headlining additions:
- More detailed northeast Asian map: New provinces and greater historical fidelity to Manchuria and Mongolia.
- Empire of China rebalance: The Celestial Throne should be something worth fighting for! New challenges in holding the title, but great bonuses for a wise emperor that can keep the Middle Kingdom together.
- Increased dynamism in the Ming Empire: Changes to meritocracy and the Mandate encourage a more challenging and less static Ming experience.
- New Historical Events: Flavor events and new event chains that add greater depth and context to Ming and Manchu development through the game.
- Host can now be observer in multiplayer games
- Added Korean mission tree with 27 missions in total
- 64bit only now
There's quite a lot more to it including plenty of balance changes and bug fixes. See all about it here.
Much like what happened with the Prison Architect update, the Linux version does have some issues due to the new Paradox Launcher. If it doesn't work for you, try this as a launch option on Steam (right click -> "Properties" -> "Set Launch Options…"):
If you wish to bypass the launcher entirely, you can do so quite easily just by launching EU IV directly. To find the installed folder, right click on the game and go to "Properties" and then -> hit the "Local Files" tab and press "Browse Local Files…". Then just run the "eu4" file.