I think we all saw this coming when Paradox Interactive picked up the rights to Prison Architect, with Double Eleven taking on further development. The first proper DLC has been announced at PDXCON named Prison Architect - Psych Ward: Warden's Edition.
Psych Ward was previously a console exclusive DLC, so it's good to see it make it onto PC. However, it does include new added features not in the original DLC and it will launch along side a free content update for everyone. It's not exactly a small pack either, it actually sounds like it's going to be adding quite a bit to the game. Paradox also gave it a release date of November 21, so you won't exactly have long to wait to really find out.
Prison Architect - Psych Ward: Warden's Edition announcement trailer:
- Plead Insanity: Criminally insane inmates are unpredictable, require special care, and have their own Reputation traits for you to consider when building your prison. Let them co-exist with the general population or lock them away in a padded cell, how you manage their needs is up to you!
- Shrinks: Any prison holding the criminally insane needs a team of Psychiatrists and trained Orderlies to keep everything under control. These valuable prison staff can sedate rowdy prisoners or pull out the straitjackets when things get too rough.
- Doctor’s Note: Provide counseling to the criminally insane with the new Psychiatrist’s Office and new consultation Programs. Improve their sessions by upgrading the office with leather sofas, medicine cabinets, Rorschach tests, and more.
- Good Behavior: Your inmates now have a wide range of behaviors players will need to manage. They start out harmless, but if left untreated, they can turn violent or attempt to escape.
- It’s Gone Viral: Treat your regular inmates with care. Subjecting your inmates to excessive suppression or punishment can cause them to turn criminally insane.
- Extra Padding: Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition adds padded cells and padded floors along with a bundle of other new objects, floors, and wall types to customize your prison. Now you can easily build a dedicated wing for the criminally insane.
- Tools of the Trade: Additional contraband, including Adrenaline Shots, Fountain Pens (Shanks), and Gold Pocket Watches, can be stolen by your prisoners, or by you in Escape Mode.
This is one expansion I think I'm going to enjoy. Prison Architect is already a huge amount of fun and this pack sounds like it will make the game far more detailed with the inmate behaviour system.
"Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition is built to enhance Prison Architect’s existing gameplay mechanics to give players new and interesting ways to experience the game," Steacy McIlwham, Product Manager for Prison Architect at Paradox Interactive, said. "Each feature in this expansion brings its own set of scenarios and opportunities that require players to get creative with their prison management. Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition is just the start of our plans for Prison Architect, we have much more in the works that you’ll hear about soon."
Additionally, Paradox and Double Eleven also revealed they have an additional Prison Architect expansion in development that will launch in 2020 but so far they've only given it a teaser trailer:
Whenever they give out more details on next year's expansion, we will have a write-up here on GamingOnLinux to let you know what it's all about.
You can wishlist/follow Prison Architect - Psych Ward: Warden's Edition on the now live Steam store page.