Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers

A new stable Steam Client update is out with plenty of Linux fixes

Valve continue to polish the Steam Client with a bunch of recent changes that have been in Beta for a little while now pushed out for everyone. Here's what's new.

On the Linux side, it's had a lot of cleaning up done. Valve disabled CEF keyring integration by default, which was annoying plenty of people. An issue that caused some Proton enabled games to redownload was solved, Big Picture Mode's on-screen keyboard should now actually pop up when clicking on text fields with Touch Screen Mode enabled, Steam Overlay should now work for titles that use XInput2 and a client crash was solved while iterating directories.

We had a few little updates too for the Linux Steam Runtime as it now includes the latest version of libvulkan, Valve has added exports for more WSI functions for Proton and they improved the runtime diagnostic tools.

The rest of the client had a lot of fixing up too for all platforms. In particular you should see Remote Play acting a lot better with quite a lot of bug fixes, it now has loading screen tips and they added the Steam Overlay to the streaming client in Remote Play Together. For Steam Input the Victrix Pro FS with Touch Pad is now supported and Switch controllers should see increased responsiveness. Steam Chat should perform better for big groups, the Library should perform better with it doing less network requests when loading a game page and so on. See the full changelog here.

Pretty awesome how much work Valve has actually put into all the Linux components of Steam over the last couple years and they continue to do so. Even SteamOS may make a return eventually.

Tags: Apps, Steam, Update

toojays 27 March 2020 at 10:12 am UTC
Fingers crossed that among the remote play bugfixes is some relief for issue 6804, where the client intermittently (but more often than not) does not allow streaming Proton games.
Pinguino 27 March 2020 at 10:13 am UTC
tomaszg 27 March 2020 at 11:04 am UTC
Too bad they didn't solve the annoying screensaver issue yet. It's been almost 2 years
gustavoyaraujo 27 March 2020 at 12:40 pm UTC
Is anyone else not being able to send friend requests from the big picture mode or is it just with me?
Dunc 27 March 2020 at 1:44 pm UTC
PinguinoThis sounds exciting, but I'm still waiting for the update that makes SteamPlay Together work for me. I've tried different games with different set of friends at different points in time and so far it's been an embarassing experience involving no actual gaming whatsoever.
I tried it with a friend for the first time last weekend. I won't say there was no gaming; as long as I didn't want to move left or right (gamepad), it was fine, with surprisingly little lag. Mind you, the audio sounded like a bowl of Rice Krispies with a stammer. Definitely needs work.
kaktuspalme 27 March 2020 at 4:42 pm UTC
I hope the new SteamOS will be released together with a console like pc. But I think it's better to do that when Proton is in a even better shape.
tuubi 27 March 2020 at 5:02 pm UTC
GuestAnd there would be no gol.com!
I know you're joking, but GOL did exist before Valve first launched Steam on Linux. And people were happily using Linux way before that. Valve has been great for us Linux gamers, but let's not get carried away.
CatKiller 27 March 2020 at 7:07 pm UTC
QuoteAdded the ability to resize the game list by dragging the divider between the left and right panels

Woohoo!
Purple Library Guy 27 March 2020 at 7:58 pm UTC
GuestThis is my recommendation: We should blow up the liberty statue in NY and replace it with Gabe's golden Statue!what an excellent idea!
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to game free, the wretched refuse of your Windows shore . . .