Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Flattr, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.

What have you been playing recently and what are your thoughts?

It's Sunday, it's a lazy day for some and plenty of you are probably playing through your backlog of games.

I've been testing out the Linux beta of the upcoming monster capture game Monster Crown. One that was crowdfunded some time ago, and it's incredibly promising. The developer has been great to chat to and they seem very committed to polishing the Linux build. Still a long road ahead though but a rather unique take on a Pokemon-like that I can't wait to put more time into

Additionally, a fair amount of my time has been spent playing Danger Zone in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Today I saw something quite hilarious actually; someone managed to use their Drone Pilot starting perk, to capture one of the late-game drops coming down and fly it across the map to themselves. First time I've seen someone do that, was a fun surprise. Naturally, I ran after it to attempt to take them down but they had some traps waiting for me. Those jump pads can be a real nuisance, sending me far into the air to come crashing down—dead.

Over to you: what have you been playing recently, and what do you think about it? Let your fellow GOL readers know in the comments.

Tags: Community, Misc

WorMzy 8 March 2020 at 3:52 pm UTC
Dwarf Fortress.
I'm currently trying to deal with a site infested with alligators. It's hard without a military and only two picks and single battle ax. I hope I don't have to abandon the site, besides the alligators, it's a pretty good site and I already mapped out my basic base layout.

I'm also playing OpenXcom on android.
Ehvis 8 March 2020 at 3:53 pm UTC
ageresSupraland. A 3D platformer with nice visuals, graphics and gameplay and tons of secrets. I like it very much so far. There is a demo on Steam, you should try it. It performs poorly though, about 50 fps with crashes every few minutes.

Performance is indeed poor, but I love that game. Even 100%ed it. Turning the shadows down helped my getting somewhat acceptable performance.
PublicNuisance 8 March 2020 at 3:58 pm UTC
Playing through Rise of the Tomb Raider right now. Figured I would give it a go as a good test of my new GPU. Loving it so far. Gorgeous graphics; good gameplay; not perfect but very good. I recently finished Hostil which was a decent 2D Point and Click.
kneekoo 8 March 2020 at 4:06 pm UTC
I played Minetest with the MineClone 2 game on top. It's a nice combination, with both still having work to do to offer a similar experience to Minecraft, but they're pretty good already. Gotta love all the free software effort out there!
on_en_a_gros 8 March 2020 at 4:11 pm UTC
I'm on my way of finishing shadow of the Tomb Raider, not as good as rise of the Tomb Raider IMO but I'm still looking to complete it 100%.
Other than that I tried golf with your friend and shotgun farmer recently, which are ok games, probably way more fun if you don't play them alone.
Even if I have enough games to finish, Black mesa is seriously winking at me.
YourPalMark 8 March 2020 at 4:15 pm UTC
Ark: Survival Evolved. The Linux version is junk, but under Proton it's fantastic!
Beamboom 8 March 2020 at 4:15 pm UTC
I've started on GTA 5! And so far so good, I was surprised to see the graphics being quite the same as earlier, not the step it was from 3 to 4. Not that it matters, I much prefer steady framerate to visual bling.

Love the atmosphere! There's just nothing like gta. Nothing!
Raaben 8 March 2020 at 4:16 pm UTC
I picked up Black Mesa to add to my ever growing backlog. I was planning on marathoning that when it came out but..

Some friends were successful in getting me back into FF14 and, aside from ReShade no longer working with it for some reason on newer WINE/DXVK, still works just fine and has stolen all of my free time lately. Send help.

Last edited by Raaben on 8 March 2020 at 4:16 pm UTC
Patola 8 March 2020 at 4:18 pm UTC
Star Citizen, X4: Foundations, Mars: War Logs, Watch Dogs 2, Moons of Madness...
Projectile Vomit 8 March 2020 at 4:27 pm UTC
Well, since Proton has made playing Dungeons & Dragons Online completely possible, my son and I have begun adventuring together. I know the game is old, by today's standards, but it still holds up and they are still making updates to it. This will have my attention for a while, especially since my son is now of the age that he will enjoy this sort of thing.

That's right. My son is a dwarf barbarian and I am his halfling rogue.

...