Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Flattr, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.

Every so often we like to have a chat with our readers, and find out what you've been really getting into lately on Linux.

Since the UK is currently in lockdown, I've been spending some extra time with the mini-me since school is out and I've been trying out everything they're into. This has involved, unsurprisingly, a lot of Minecraft since it's an accessible game. We've recently discovered a few communities than run huge servers, and each have a ton of mini-games. One such mini-game is Bed Wars, and it's actually quite a lot of fun.

Each team spawns on their own little island, giving you time to protect your Bed which acts as your spawn point. Lose your bed, no more re-spawning and it's the last team standing. It can get really quite tense actually! When you're busy gathering material from your team Summoner, to turn around and spot an opposing team quickly building a bridge over to your island and suddenly panic sets in. I've been trying it out on TheHive server, which seems to work well.

I also consider myself something of a Dragon Ball super fan, so I finally caved in and picked up a personal copy of DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT (Humble Store / Steam) and I must admit my intense surprise at just how flawless it runs in the latest Proton 5.0-5 for Steam Play.

Like the HUD in the top left? That's the brilliant MangoHud covered here on GOL a few times now.

As you can see above, performance is fluid with it on max settings. It's actually a little ridiculous how easy gaming on Linux has become. Now I just need to work on my reflexes for such a fast game…I'm not usually one for fighters like it.

So GOL readers over to you: what have you been gaming on Linux lately and what are you thoughts on it? Let us know in the comments.

Tags: Misc
Page: «8/8

oldrocker99 7 April 2020 at 5:12 pm UTC
Lately, CIV:BE, Crossroads Inn (once I finally figured out, after months, why it wasn't running for any Linux distro. (If you copy /lib/libc.so.6 to Crossroads Inn/bin, it runs perfectly; their own library is defective), started Oblivion up again (loved it then, 14 years ago, and I still do. Morrowind, too), Slay the Spire, Tower of Time, Book of Demons. At my (ahem) advanced age of 72, I am sitting here, playing this game and that, getting high and staying that way.

My wife went batshit crazy and left me among false accusations she has told everyone. I'm moving into an apartment and, if, everything Will Pass, hope to find love in my own age group.

There are more women than men after 70; a surprisingly large number of men die in their 60s.

The odds are in my favor...
xavi 7 April 2020 at 5:27 pm UTC
TobyGornow
xavican be played without a manual?
I mean: Is it possible to learn and progress only by what the game teaches you?
Thanks

Yep ! This game has a great progression system an no you don't need a manual to learn how to play it, everything is explained.

Conversations are very realistic. Seems more playing an adventure than a hack and slash, it's a rich content game.

What I do not like (I know we are used to this kind of stuff):
  • main character has a dream

• he thinks his daughter? is in danger

• he is searching for his wife

... but he is ok on playing board games on a table or making any side quest.

So I am trying to play like if it is real, my answers are what I should answer, but I feel guilty making side quests, and I did not participated on that board game for the same reason.

On the other hand, I feel (at the moment) like reading an interactive book, and I like all the exploration stuff and all the rest.
Purple Library Guy 7 April 2020 at 5:58 pm UTC
This is perhaps heading for off topic, but I have been playing my non-computer, tabletop RPGs via a thing called Roll20 and Zoom. Teleconferencing isn't quite like being together in person, but it's nice I can still spend time with my friends.
Pangaea 7 April 2020 at 7:02 pm UTC
xaviI started playing yesterday The Witcher 3, just 2h. Looks so good, open world is very nice.

What I do not like (I know we are used to this kind of stuff):
  • main character has a dream

• he thinks his daughter? is in danger

• he is searching for his wife

It's an excellent game and filled with quests and beautiful locations, so think you'll enjoy it. What you mention above has been building up in the first two games (and is covered in the 6-7 books), but it probably feels like a bad start when coming straight into it with the Witcher 3. It's sort of used as a transition from the tutorial to the start of the game, but also functions as setting the mood for what much of the game will be about (but probably in different ways than you think right now).

Hopefully you enjoy the game, and then you are in for one hell of an experience.
robvv 12 April 2020 at 2:21 am UTC
I was playing Borderlands 3 but then I got sidetracked by Ara Fell: Enhanced Edition. Eleven hours into it and I'm hooked: it's a rather good pixel-RPG with engaging characters, cool combat and some reasonably hard puzzles. There are quite a few secrets and side-quests to be found, too. Recommended!
RafiLinux 12 April 2020 at 3:26 am UTC
ixnariI've just finished DUSK.

I love this game. My family is currently playing it via of LAN for deathmatch but it seems like only 2 of us like it. Excellent experience.

ageres 12 April 2020 at 4:56 am UTC
RafiLinuxAs far as the loading, do you mean the DOS window thing? I think that is the only loading issue I have but I think it's on purpose to make the game feel older.
The devs said, the whole game is being loaded into the memory at starting to make any in-game loading instant.
I think they just should have used Darkplaces instead of Unity...
Anders1232 12 April 2020 at 7:12 pm UTC
Here's my list, *not* in order of most played:
Total War warhammer 2: after 140 turns without achieving expansion as Skarsnik I'm trying to make a mod to increase the chance of mushroom-addicted lords and heroes. i also started a darks elves vortex campaign with Malekith.
Playing a lot of the witcher 3 and loving it!
Left 4 dead 2 with friends.
And rediscovered Age of Empires 3.
RafiLinux 12 April 2020 at 9:28 pm UTC
I'm currently playing:

* Hotline Miami 2 - STEAM

Loving it. It's hits all the right marks for me as a game. Top Down Shooter. Great music. Fast paced action. Interesting story. Right amount of challenge. Level editor.

* Jupiter Hell - GOG

Loving this one also. I was a big fan of DOOMRL also. Again it hits all the right check boxes for me. Top Down Shooter. Great music. Not fast action but still just as intense. Right amount of challenge. Lots of replay-ability.

* Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - Steam

Big fan of the Alpha and 3rd Strike series. Been playing this one with my usual local and friends online due to quarantine.

* Counter Strike: Global Offensive - Steam

Trying to get into this one. I like almost everything about it except for how difficult it is to get LAN up and running. I have to say that so far I've had a good time playing with random strangers online but I stuck only to deathmatch and ppl generally don't talk much during that mode in almost any game and that helps the online play a lot. I've not tried any of the other modes online.

* Left 4 Dead 2 - Steam

I like this game but the online is horrible. I've played this a lot but when I try playing with strangers all kinds of toxic behavior is present. Playing with friends and family is a joy.

* AssaultCube

This is a family favorite and it seems to be on the menu when we don't want to play board games and get tired of fighting games. It's always fun.