Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers

Update 19/05: AMD later clarified some new plans but they come with plenty of caveats.

If you're keeping an eye on the latest AMD processors coming, you might want to sit down and take a look at a recent post from AMD detailing their support plans for socket AM4 and Zen 3 compatibility.

Writing in a post on their community forum, AMD developer Robert Hallock announced their plans. Going over a little history, how in 2016 they said they would support socket AM4 until 2020 and since then processors have expanded a lot across the Excavator / Zen / Zen+ and Zen 2 architectures.

Starting off with the big question answered: the upcoming Zen 3 will be compatible with the X570 (2019) and B550 (2020) motherboards through a BIOS update. While they also mentioned "no plans" to have Zen 3 support older chipsets so if you were waiting on it you're likely going to need to spend more.

They've also provided a picture of their support status and plan:

For the full details, see here.

Curious about their upcoming Zen 3? AMD stated recently that it and their next-generation GPU architecture with RDNA 2 are on target for this year.

Tags: AMD, Hardware

Dedale 7 May

At least it is what i gather from forum posts i have read elsewhere.

Last edited by Dedale on 7 May 2020 at 8:06 pm UTC
DedaleIf i am not mistaken there are a few people using ryzen 3000 processors on 300 series chipsets with updated BIOSes. Only some motherboards allow that. If confirmed some users of 400 series chipsets may have a good surprise. AMD users seem to enjoy cheaper upgrades on more durable mainboards and could protest if it is not the case.

At least it is what i gather from forum posts i have read elsewhere.

Quite sad... The 400 series is not that old... Tought it would get the Zen 3 treatment.

Anyway, I tend to keep my builds complete (motherboard/RAM/CPU) and use them as secondary computers, instead of swapping only my CPU... Having a sleeping CPU in a cupboard makes me itch. :)

Last edited by Mohandevir on 7 May 2020 at 8:29 pm UTC
tomaszg 7 May
I don't get their happiness from the fact that the socket AM4 survived 4 years (2016-2020). AM3 socket debuted in 2009 and was partially compatible with AM2 released in 2006! It makes 10 years of support of the general socket design. Of course, not every motherboard supported all processors, but the same is true with AM4.

Moreover there is no gain from the fact that motherboard from 2016 and current one both use the same socket if they support different processor. I can't take 4 year old mobo and put a new Ryzen there. So, why I should be happy that the socket didn't change? Similarly, latest generation chipset won't work with Zen 1 architecture CPUs.
M@GOid 7 May
Fine by me. I see no reason to support more than 2 generations of CPUs on the same motherboard. Look at how troublesome Ryzen 3000 support was at launch, with a scramble to update BIOSes on old boards that ended loosing support for older processors.

I want to buy a motherboard without too much research to know if what I'm buying have the necessary update for the CPU I chose.

Last edited by M@GOid on 7 May 2020 at 8:45 pm UTC
tomaszg 7 May
You are only reconfirming my point - they have nothing special to brag about :)
cbones 7 May

At least it is what i gather from forum posts i have read elsewhere.

I have an ASUS Prime B350-Plus which states Ryzen 3000 support. I was planning to upgrade so the image here worries me. I will need to do more research.

Last edited by cbones on 7 May 2020 at 8:56 pm UTC
I guess it ultimately depends on the OEM decision, I have a B350 and it does support Ryzen 3000 series. (and also PCIE 4)

Anyway probably all the b350/370 are a dead end, because I think no OEM does bios updates after three years, maybe some 470 have better luck.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 8 May 2020 at 8:13 am UTC
Drakker 7 May
Ouch, that's a bummer. I have a B450 and was planning to swap my r5 2400g for a zen 3 r7 in order to have a long lasting computer. I might have to skip this generation and get zen 4 or zen 5 instead.
Shmerl 7 May
X370 works with Ryzen 3000 though (at least Asrock X370 Taichi does).

Last edited by Shmerl on 7 May 2020 at 11:14 pm UTC
ShmerlX370 works with Ryzen 3000 though (at least Asrock X370 Taichi does).

same here i have 3700x runing in mine just fine on my x370 motherboard i think it verys on mobo if bios update says it does then it should work.

cbones

At least it is what i gather from forum posts i have read elsewhere.

if bios updates says it will it will

Last edited by EMO GANGSTER on 8 May 2020 at 2:36 am UTC