Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.

Google continue to expand the Linux-powered game streaming service, Stadia, with a fresh set of games you can claim today with Stadia Pro. Right now, that means everyone on Stadia since Stadia is now officially open in supported countries, and everyone gets two months of Stadia Pro free when they sign up.

Now another new month is here, for May you can claim and play:

• Zombie Army 4: Dead War
  • The Turing Test
  • SteamWorld Heist

If you're interested, here's a look at the first part of Zombie Army 4: Dead War played on Linux + Stadia:

Three new titles in a single month is quite nice to see. Of course though, that's also in addition to these titles still available to claim (with Thumper having now left Pro):

• Destiny 2: The Collection
  • GRID
  • GYLT (Stadia exclusive)
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
  • Serious Sam Collection
  • Spitlings
  • Stacks on Stacks (On Stacks)
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech

Pro games remain playable as long as you're subscribed to Pro, otherwise on Stadia you buy games like you would on other services. Curiously Google are gradually building up quite a big collection of games to access instantly. They said originally they didn't want it to be thought of as the "Netflix of games" and their business model is clearly different, however if they continue to add games to Pro and rarely remove them from it the monthly Pro plan actually starts to make sense (and be good value too).

In other Stadia news:

mirv 1 May 2020 at 1:16 pm UTC
Zombie Army 4 input worked better than I anticipated. I'm not a fan of the game, but I figure it's close enough to, say, Doom that I might get a feel for how well it works.
...right up until I change location anyway, after which all bets are off. Which is why Turing Test interests me far more. Traditionally, puzzle games aren't as reliant on input timing.
dubigrasu 1 May 2020 at 3:39 pm UTC

The Turing test though makes me feel a bit sick, just not because some Stadia/connection lag, but because of the game itself. I've looked on Steam forums and there are dozen of people complaining about the same thing. For me it feels like the mouse/gamepad movement is extremely and unnaturally smoothed, adding a weird delay in your reactions. Not much to do, disable motion blur and increase the FOV maybe, but still feels wrong. And like I said I doubt is because of lag, since jumping for example feels instantaneous.

Edit: Oh, by the way, there is also a StadiaDB for the curious ones.

Last edited by dubigrasu on 1 May 2020 at 3:43 pm UTC
mirv 1 May 2020 at 4:21 pm UTC
dubigrasuZombie Army 4 does work very well, you could almost fool me that is running locally.

Edit: Oh, by the way, there is also a StadiaDB for the curious ones.

Crap, I see what you mean by that with Turing Test. Horrible. It's almost like they've applied acceleration curves of analogue sticks to mouse controls, and haven't provided the option to disable mouse smoothing. That's making it nigh-unplayable.
I even tried switching to a gamepad, only to realise there's no option to invert up/down for camera control. There is an invert camera option, but didn't appear to do anything.
Nothing to do with Stadia, that's just a game in need of certain tweaks and options exposed to the user. Though being unreal engine based, there's probably an ini file that could be modified for local installs.
RafiLinux 1 May 2020 at 6:51 pm UTC
Zombie Army 4 is excellent. Going to see if my wife likes it so that she can get off of L4D2 and give it a spin.

Last edited by RafiLinux on 1 May 2020 at 6:52 pm UTC
orochi_kyo 1 May 2020 at 9:43 pm UTC

It is pretty clear that the anti-Gaben vibe is strong around here. But Im quite sure they will be around when Steam release some form of cloud gaming.
mirv 1 May 2020 at 10:16 pm UTC
orochi_kyoIt is funny to see any of these GOG fanboys actually talking about Stadia when Cloud Gaming is the perfect form of DRM, I mean Google did what Denuvo never achieved.

Sorry, but nobody in this thread mentioned GOG, so I'm not sure what you're upset about. I don't suppose you could use less, for lack of a better term, combative wording?

It is worth pointing out flaws inherent in Stadia. Like I alluded to: some of the control issues with Turing Test might possibly be resolved with a local installation.
It's also worth pointing out benefits of Stadia. Some games play just fine through it, virtually no difference to a local installation, and without annoying load times. Local computing requirements are also far less.

Google also are proving that a GNU/Linux based system is viable for "AAA" gaming, in a manner that Valve never achieved.
Liam Dawe 3 May 2020 at 9:10 am UTC
mirv

Add to that:

I can play the exact same games on my Manjaro desktop as I can on my Ubuntu laptop over a wireless connection. I can then also play those same games on my sofa on my big screen TV. There's a HUGE convenience factor to it.

While it may not result in desktop Linux ports, we can probably all agree the affect of having a ton more developers use the open Vulkan API will be a positive one for the industry as a whole. It can help improve Vulkan in game engines, get more people learning it and perhaps when the Linux desktop market share rises we might see better Linux versions (and improved drivers too...).

None currently, submit yours here!