Rick May, voice of The Soldier in Team Fortress 2 died earlier this year and now Valve has added a small dedication to May in Team Fortress 2. After suffering a stroke, May was moved to a nursing home to recover and unfortunately catching the Covid-19 Coronavirus as announced by Rekindle School.
Right inside Team Fortress 2 you will now be able to find a tribute Valve added in. Their update note on it is short and sweet, "Added a tribute to Rick May, voice of the Soldier". That doesn't really explain the scale of the tribute itself. The main menu has been adjusted to play TAPS memorial music, with a Solider saluting and you can find various statues across different maps that plays some of May's lines when you're near.
A wonderful tribute to a talented voice actor.
Here's the rest of the update notes from May 1:
- Fixed a client crash related to malformed custom spray files
- Fixed an exploit where sentry guns could fire through thin walls
- Fixed confirm dialog showing the error model for some items when using paint cans
- Updated the Aim Assistant and Telefragger Toque to fix jigglebones issues
- Updated the ConTracker font to fix missing characters in some languages
- Updated/Added some tournament medals
- Updated the localization files
Team Fortress 2 can be played free on Steam.