FTL and Total War? Two very different games and one developer is attempting to take parts of both to create Winter Falling. From the same developer who made Mars Power Industries Deluxe, which I quite liked.
The gameplay involves you going through nodes across a map, engaging in real-time battles against hordes of the undead. You recruit different unit types, position your forces and then attempt to hold them off while using a few tricks up your sleeve like lighting trenches on fire while you cower behind them for safety.
As you defeat certain enemies, you collect a special currency to enable the use of your skills. These include ordering units to charge through enemies, give them armour to become invulnerable and more. It's quite a nice mix of a small and sweet strategy game. The current prototype, available on itch.io, gives a nice look at what could end up being something great.
Features they're going for:
- COMMAND your army in battles: Battles play out in real time, but you can play at your own speed, just pause and ponder. You will need to pause often, battles require many difficult decision, every second full of tension!
- Plan your STRATEGY outside battles: Manage your army on the worldmap. Here you will gather support, rest, make friends or enemies. Will your army be well-fed and well-paid? Or will you loot cities to fill your chest? Will you save the empire?
- CUSTOMIZE your army: You choose what orders to use, what items to take, what units to put into battle, which road to go.
- Strategy focused on SKILL rather than chance: Every decision is yours to make. Every fault yours to bear. No chances to hit, no random unfair percentages.
- TRAVEL across the crumbling empire: Explore, gather support, make friends and enemies. Learn the history of the land. A uniquely generated path for your every journey.
- Be the Commander you WANT: Hundreds of tough choices await you. Will your army be a force for good? Or will you stir conflict and chaos in the land?
- Craft YOUR BATTLES: Use the in-game map editor to create your own battles, share them easily with a copy-paste!