Noble Master Games, developer of Age of Conquest IV and Demise of Nations will be releasing a new classic RTS with Retro Commander.
Sounds like quite a fully-featured RTS, in the spirit of the classics. With a single-player campaign, AI battles, cross-platform online multiplayer, LAN support, a big mix of unit types across land, sea and air and it even has a day and night cycle with weather too. Overall, as a huge RTS fan I have to admit my excitement over it.
There's no full trailer yet, so take a look at some of the screen shots in the below gallery (click for more):
The game will be sort-of free, with the main version coming with a single map and the rest needs to be purchased either as a full pack or individually. An interesting hybrid model of a demo and a full game. Noble Master have confirmed it's going to release across Linux, macOS, WIndows and mobile too.
More of what it will feature includes:
- Challenging AI for single player games including co-op play with the AI.
- Cross-platform multiplayer over LAN/internet including co-op team and clan games.
- Deep campaign and story line of humanity after a cataclysmic event.
- Troops including infantry, tanks, jets, helicopters, airships, warships, submarines and more.
- Factions each with their own technologies including stealth, laser, shields and more.
- 4X Strategy: eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate.
- Missions including elimination, survival, capture the flag and defense.
- Demanding environment with day-night cycles, rain, wind and solar flare activity.
- Map editor and a central server to host and distribute player-modded maps.
- High scores, playing statistics, achievements and multiplayer ELO-ranking.
Retro Commander appears to be an Early Access release sometime this year on Steam.