Fates of Ort, a retro RPG with a tactical approach to the combat and one where time only moves where you move is now available on GOG.
This is not turn-based in the traditional sense, it's more like everything is just paused. Perhaps a little closer to SUPERHOT than anything else, except it's an RPG not a shooter. It's so ridiculously fluid in action too, and honestly it's just great. A welcome entry into the RPG genre. With a unique magic system too, one that requires a little thought, as it can suck your own life away to use it.
- Learn and use 12 magic spells, and combine them with the three elements for different effects
- Time stops when you stand still - take advantage of this to plan your attacks
- Use your life energy to weave spells - be strategic in your fighting
- Explore various biomes around the world of Ort and meet a diverse set of characters
- Atmospheric soundtrack composed by Chris Gray
- Pursue truly optional quest lines, and make difficult choices between which characters to save
- Save the world, or rule it as a force of evil
I liked it so much, it became one of my favourites so far this year. Sadly though, like a lot of indie titles without savvy marketing it's mostly gone under the radar but you should definitely take a look if you enjoy a good retro-inspired RPG. It's a true gem.