Merged together socialising with NPCs spread across a dynamic town with a platforming brawler, Sonzai sounds like it's going to be quite the treat.
"Sonzai is an innovative hand-drawn action-RPG about life, magic, and relationships. The town of Kumotoshi holds secrets; a new life and new people. What threads bind these people together? What is the true nature of magic? Thrown into a new town, form relationships with people around you. Sonzai is the debut game by trailblazing video game duo 2 Odd Diodes, hailing from Kolkata, India, and published by New York-based Top Hat Studios, Inc."
It's easy to be pulled in by Sonzai, with the artwork that's using a clever mix of hand-drawn rough lines, turned into animations with bright generated effects during some of the combat sections. Sonzai really does look like something special. Take a look at the reveal trailer:
Discover the secrets of a magical world
- Explore a vast world.
- Whether it is a burning town right beside Kumotoshi or a civilization underground.
- Each new area has its own aesthetic and beings who reside in them.
- Discover its rich history while also managing your high school life.
Engage in viseral character-action combat
- Experience combo based action with deep customization.
- Passive Runes give you strength if you can fulfil its conditions.
- Actives Runes are devastating spells that you unleash on your enemies.
- Modules are modifiers that you can mix and match, to fine tune your loadout
Form Relationships with the townsfolk
- Each character you meet may or may not like a new face in town.
- Form bonds with them and get tangled in their stories.
- Get stronger through your relationships.
The publisher, Top Hat Studios, have confirmed in a message to us at GOL that Linux will be supported for it. This is a growing list of titles Top Hat are bringing to Linux including LAZR, SteamDolls and plenty already released.
You can follow Sonzai on Steam. We're in for quite a wait though, it's not due until 2022. Always nice to have more to look forward to though of course and Sonzai went right into my personal wishlist.