Benny Heller, developer of Arachnowopunk emailed in to show off their new single-button infinite-runner mini-metroidvania and it's quite sweet.
Developed partly on Ubuntu with the wonderful cross-platform HaxeFlixel, it's an incredibly accessible and simple game on the surface. You just have to keep going, tapping the up arrow key to switch between platforms and keep on running. Mechanically simple, with smooth pixel-art but the game certainly isn't simple to actually play. It will require your full attention to get through.
- A massive noble estate to explore and overcome.
- Eight boots to unlock for powerful upgrades - one for each foot.
- A highly relatable protagonist.
- Vibrant, stylized graphics.
- An unlockable soundtrack of 10 songs.
- Countless hazards to evade.
- A non-combat oriented play-style.
It's a genuine little gem and a total delight to play. The question is - is it actually infinite? I sure as heck don't know because it's thoroughly challenging. Hopping between platforms, while you're carefully timing every jump to avoid obstacles has beaten me to a pulp. For $1 it's great.
You can find Arachnowopunk on itch.io.