After a delay, NVIDIA have now released the next-gen GeForce RTX 3070 along with a brand new Linux driver. The delay was supposed to give retailers more time to sort stock, and as expected they all sold out very quickly, most stores sold out within an hour. Trying to buy a new GPU on release day continues to be something of a fools errand.
The GeForce 3070 is the current lowest end of Ampere, although we've seen leaks that other models will be coming which is expected just like they've done for all other generations. Although, you might want to check out what AMD just revealed with the Radeon 6000 series too.
As a reminder, here's the comparison between the new three Ampere models in the 3000 series:
|NVIDIA CUDA® Cores||10496||8704||5888|
|Boost Clock (GHz)||1.70||1.71||1.73|
|Standard Memory Config||24 GB GDDR6X||10 GB GDDR6X||8 GB GDDR6|
|Memory Interface Width||384-bit||320-bit||256-bit|
|Ray Tracing Cores||2nd Generation||2nd Generation||2nd Generation|
|Tensor Cores||3rd Generation||3rd Generation||3rd Generation|
|PCI Express Gen 4||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Vulkan RT API, OpenGL 4.6||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|NVIDIA Encoder||7th Generation||7th Generation||7th Generation|
|NVIDIA Decoder||5th Generation||5th Generation||5th Generation|
|Maximum Digital Resolution (1)||7680x4320||7680x4320||7680x4320|
|Standard Display Connectors||HDMI 2.1, 3x DisplayPort 1.4a||HDMI 2.1, 3x DisplayPort 1.4a||HDMI 2.1, 3x DisplayPort 1.4a|
|Length||12.3" (313 mm)||11.2" (285 mm)||9.5" (242 mm)|
|Width||5.4" (138 mm)||4.4" (112 mm)||4.4" (112 mm)|
|Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)||93||93||93|
|Graphics Card Power (W)||350||320||220|
|Recommended System Power (W) (2)||750||750||650|
|Supplementary Power Connectors||2x PCIe 8-pin||2x PCIe 8-pin||1x PCIe 8-pin|
If you do wish to keep an eye on stock for when more come in, you can try at these stores:
NVIDIA also released a new driver, as they usually do as they get their new GPUs supported on Linux as soon as they release to show their commitment to Linux users. NVIDIA 455.38 went up, here's the changes:
- Added support for the following GPUs:
- GeForce RTX 3070
- Fixed a bug in nvidia-settings that caused the SLI Mosaic Configuration dialog to position available displays incorrectly when enabling SLI Mosaic.
- Added support for using an NVIDIA-driven display as a PRIME Display Offload sink with a PRIME Display Offload source driven by the xf86-video-intel driver.
- Fixed a bug in a Vulkan barrier optimization that allowed some back-to-back copies to run unordered.
- Fixed a performance regression in the NVIDIA X driver which affected some X11 RENDER extension use cases.
- Added AMD Secure Memory Encryption compatibility.