Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus, the very cool turn-based strategy game from Bulwark Studios and Kasedo Games is worth a look this weekend.

They've just announced that they've put up a Complete Collection bundle, so if you were interested in picking it up you can buy it as one big bundle of the base game plus the DLC. Not only that though, you can now try before you buy as it's on a Steam Free Weekend - this means you can download and play for free and it's also on a big discount so if you decide you like it you can grab it cheaps.

A much slower game compared with lots of other Warhammer 40K titles, and it explores a cast and setting not often shown with The Adeptus Mechanicus. As Magos Dominus Faustinius, you’ll lead the expedition on the newly rediscovered Necron planet of Silva Tenebris. Customize your team, manage resources, discover long-forgotten tech, and control your Tech-Priests’ every move.

It's highly rated, and for good reason! Not only does it look great and have a fantastic atmosphere, it's quite challenging too. If you've been after a new strategy game, Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus is a fine choice.

Find it on Steam.

The_Aquabat 16 Oct
Great game !! I enjoyed this game quite a lot and was my first time I got into the warhammer universe.
morbius 16 Oct
I got it in a bundle, but I can't say that I liked it, even though I'm a fan of TBS. Fighting system is very convoluted and you are constantly asked to make choices while knowing nothing about potential risks and rewards. I wouldn't call the game bad overall, but it's way less fun than it could have been.
Cyril 7 days ago
GOG buyers can fuck themselves it seems.
mirv 7 days ago
  • Supporter Plus
I tried it...then it did some weird non-fullscreen thing and crashed. Then loaded...but it froze as soon as a window was created...and again....and then I finally started again...where it crashed after the intro videos. Skipping those and I was at last able to see the starting tutorial.

I know Unity3D and my system don't always get along, but that's very off-putting. Which is a shame, because I suspect it otherwise runs very well (i.e good performance), and the feel of things in the intro sequences was very much in line with the Adeptus Mechanicus. I might even have been tempted to figure out how the view controls work, how to change the view and all that, but...too much crashing for me.

But I am now tempted to fire up Space Hulk: Ascension.
The_Aquabat 6 days ago
Quoting: mirvI suspect it otherwise runs very well (i.e good performance)
It ran quite well on my system a few months ago with kubuntu 18.04. I think this game is very well ported and performance is awesome, maybe something is wrong with your setup?

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 17 October 2020 at 5:07 am UTC
I've had quite a bit of fun with it. I think it crashed on me once . . . just a random crash, not something like always crashing at a certain point or anything. I find the fighting system interesting and I also think it kind of fits the atmosphere of the setting. Like, there you are being these priests of the technology god, and you get more actions by getting knowledge about the enemy--almost violently ripping information out of the foe during combat. Plus you got these layman soldiers to help you . . . as befits Warhammer 40K, they are so massively expendable.
The odd little choice scenarios are pretty random though; the risks and rewards from getting them right or wrong aren't huge but I still have a tendency to savescum them somewhat. But they're not a big part of the game, and although in a gameplay sense they're slightly annoying, they convey atmosphere well.
And I enjoy the dialogue the senior priests get into before you send a group on a mission. All the little quotations from the machine god bible and so forth . . . it definitely feels like it couldn't be any other setting. The music really fits too, this sort of powerful but gloomy organ-type music, very much a creepy Catholic church kind of feel.
mirv 6 days ago
  • Supporter Plus
Quoting: The_Aquabat
Quoting: mirvI suspect it otherwise runs very well (i.e good performance)

I suspect it's related to window creation or resize events (which might end up being a destroy old window and recreate). Possibly a race condition that triggers on my setup.

Still, this is a nice thing about a free weekend - get to try it out, and I really recommend anyone to do so.
The_Aquabat 6 days ago
Quoting: mirvI should really clarify: this isn't against the developer, they've obviously done a very nice job, and that somehow makes it more frustrating for me because despite all that I'm still having issues.
I ran it on a rx 570 with high settings, I think with your r9 380x you should be fine. Anyways it's turn based so having like 30fps for this type of games is enough.
sad that doesn't runs for you.

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!