Two pieces of Valve news to cover this Tuesday morning including new updates to Steam Play Proton and an upcoming Vulkan extension to help deal with other APIs and porting.
Firstly, the Proton update. 5.13-2 RC has been announced which needs more testing, since the Proton 5.13 release was quite a big one and it's not quite ready yet as they deal with some known issues. If you wish to try the Proton 5.13-2 RC, you need to opt into the "next" Beta branch for Proton 5.13 on Steam like so:
Here's their tentative changelog for this Proton update:
- Update vkd3d-proton to version 2.0.
- Fix Assetto Corsa Competizione in VR mode.
- Proton log directory can be configured with PROTON_LOG_DIR.
- Fix Killer Instinct crash on exit.
- Fix Risk of Rain multiplayer.
- Fix games not launching in Uplay Connect, and Origin crashing when updating.
- Fix mouse cursor in Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.
- Fix SpellForce crash on launch on some systems.
- Fix very long load times in Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor.
- Restore behavior of horizontal scrolling input from previous Proton versions.
The list may change over time once it goes through their usual QA, and there may be future builds pushed to it before Proton 5.13 is considered ready.
Additionally, it seems a couple of Valve contractors have been working on a new Vulkan extension. It seemed to have been accidentally pushed out to the Vulkan repository on GitHub a little early, and promptly closed mentioning a "Misclick". The extension is called VK_VALVE_mutable_descriptor, with the gist of it being to allow "much more efficient emulation of the binding model present in other graphics APIs for layering or porting purposes".