With the last Steam Game Festival ending in October, Valve have announced the dates for the next and developers don't have long to get their demos ready.
Announced in the Steamworks Group, the next Steam Game Festival begins on February 3, 2021 and will run until February 9. For developers, the cut-off for demo submissions is December 2, 2021 at 11:59pm PST / December 3, 2021 7:59am UTC and they won't accept any new games after that date.
To be able to submit, developers will need to fit into these rules:
- Part of a Steamworks developer account in good standing.
- A game on Steam with a release date set between February 10, 2021 and September 1, 2021
- A publicly visible Coming Soon page at the time of opt-in
- A publicly playable demo by the time the festival begins
- Games may only participate in one of the following game festivals: Autumn 2020, February 2021, or June 2021.
Even with the limits in place, nothing stops developers releasing demos whenever they want as normal. However, it won't get any kind of special placement during the event.
For us players, it means we get another few days to try out some upcoming games, watch developer livestreams, chat with developers and more.