Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers

Valve expand Steam Input to support more of the PS5 DualSense Controller

Valve sent over a press announcement to highlight that the Steam Input API has expanded its support of the brand new PS5 DualSense Controller.

This has been ongoing work since earlier in November, with multiple Steam Client Beta updates expanding the Steam Input API. Starting off initially with just supporting basic input. However, across other Beta updates on November 18 / 19 and 20 they've now added in support for:

• LED
  • Trackpad
  • Rumble + Rumble over Bluetooth
  • Gyro functionality
  • Allowing external audio based haptics while rumble is enabled

With all this hooked up, Valve say that now all games that support the Steam Input API "are now fully compatible with the new PS5 controller - with no developer updates required, it just works".

You still need to be opted into the Steam Beta Client, with full support rolling out for the PS5 DualSense Controller into the stable client after further testing has been done.

As for how it works on Linux, you're going to need some updated udev rules to work fully. Valve contractor Timothee Besset mentioned on Twitter they've put out an update to the Steam Installer, and you can also find the full udev rules on Valve's steam-devices GitHub.

Cyril 5 days ago
How about its support outside Steam?
psppwner300 5 days ago
Anybody actually have a DualSense to test this with? I've updated my udev rules for this and none of the extra features are working.
1xok 5 days ago
Quoting: subReally happy with mine.
Was hoping they'll come up with a new version after stopping production.

Mine has starting problems after four years when I want to use it wireless with the USB dongle or via Bluetooth. It simply switches off again immediately. Sometimes it stays on and then works as usual. Most of the time it works when I connect it for a minute with a cable.

I have another one in reserve, but it is my last one. My muscle memory for many games is tied to the controller. This is also true for one of my favorite games: Hollow Knight.

It feels bad that it is no longer officially for sale. I could retrain myself. But the other controllers are kind of boring. I'm not a friend of force feedback either (except for steering wheels). For me this is just a gimmick. It is quite cool in the beginning but you get tired of it very quickly. Most of the time I turned it off. And without FF, Sony's new controller doesn't really bring anything new.

Last edited by 1xok on 21 November 2020 at 9:03 pm UTC
sub 5 days ago
Quoting: 1xok
Quoting: subReally happy with mine.
Was hoping they'll come up with a new version after stopping production.

Doesn't happen with mine.

You mean your controller is broken?
Tried to clean it?
Maybe the power button sometimes shortens?
M@GOid 5 days ago
Quoting: 1xok
Quoting: subReally happy with mine.
Was hoping they'll come up with a new version after stopping production.

Take a look at the batteries contacts. What you describe looks like it isn't receiving energy from the batteries. If you cannot disassembly it for a thorough cleaning, try contact cleaning spray, or isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts with q-tips.

Last edited by M@GOid on 21 November 2020 at 11:58 pm UTC
einherjar 5 days ago
Is there a chance that it runs with the steam link?
Or is that independent from that?
denyasis 5 days ago
Quoting: M@GOid
Quoting: denyasisI'm sure I'm in the minority here, but that is one ugly looking controller.

You and me brother. But don't dismiss it by the looks alone, first reviews are very positive towards it.

I have heard Sony's controllers are pretty good, as are Microsoft's. Even better that we can get them to work on Linux.
Mar2ck 5 days ago
Quoting: CyrilHow about its support outside Steam?
It comes up as a /dev/js* controller and all the buttons work as you'd expect. No gyro or touchpad though https://boilingsteam.com/dualsense-controller-on-linux-works-good-with-some-limitations/
Craggles086 5 days ago
Quoting: subBtw, any recent rumours about a Steam Controller 2?

Just the Patent for what looked a new Controller they posted before they dropped support for the first steam controller. I thought there were reports of them canceling after the patent.

there is this..

But have not heard any comment from any Valve employees. They are oddly silent on the subject. Which if they were Apple would be a clue in itself.

But no one from Valve has said that it is cancelled so still hope.

I posted a RIP article on Linux Gamers group on facebook about the 25th of September
Someone said something that gave me hope that work was still being done but will see.

Would love a Steam Controller 2.
Hori 4 days ago
Quoting: Craggles086
Quoting: subBtw, any recent rumours about a Steam Controller 2?

there is this..

But no one from Valve has said that it is cancelled so still hope.

Would love a Steam Controller 2.
Yeah, a new one would be amazing!

I still love the original SC but it cannot be denied that it has some issues.
And, well... it's not getting any newer, is it? I'm fortunate that it still works fine, but for how long?
Also the joystick rubber is sooo worn off now. I've bought a replacement but I'm yet to install it. I've tried rubber caps for a while but ended up disliking all of them.

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!