Play classics like Command & Conquer, Dune 2000 and Red Alert in a fantastic open source game engine with OpenRA.
Now available with a new testing release to pull in all the latest work, with lots of work current being done to finally allow the later Tiberian Sun to be supported by OpenRA which is incredibly exciting but it's not quite there yet. Due to all the work going into that, this new test release is short on new features.
Some highlights from the test release:
- New lobby options for Stealth Deliveries in Tiberian Dawn and Automatic Concrete in Dune 2000
- Disable spawn points in a game lobby by right-clicking on the map preview
- Share OpenRA status and game invites on Discord
- More fluid infantry combat after fixing several long-standing combat bugs
- Battlefield zooming is now centered on the mouse cursor
- Red Alert Spies can now reset support powers by infiltrating the structure that grants them
- Servers can be configured to save replays, enabling the creation of community ladders
- 8 new Red Alert single-player missions supported
- AI behaviour and performance improvements
- Dune 2000 gained new new weapon damage calculations that are more faithful to the original game
Something else that's exciting apart from the upcoming support for Tiberian Sun is progress on supporting the assets from the C&C Remastered Collection. The team has hit a new milestone on that, with investigations on it done and work underway to actually integrate the changes needed for it to work that will come to a future release.
As usual their effort to create a modern RTS game engine that can run these classics (and other complete games) is magnificent. I'm a huge fan, as you can probably tell, partly because such RTS games were part of my earlier gaming memories. FOSS game engines like OpenRA are just awesome.
See more on the OpenRA site.
Oh, cool :) I had serious problems with finishing one of the first missions due to being overwhelmed by enemies in first 30-40s - perhaps now campaign maps are more balanced.
See more from me