After releasing for itch.io first Pixross, the nonogram puzzle game from Kenney, has now hopped on over to Steam and it also had a sweet upgrade for both stores.
"Pixross is a picture logic puzzle game featuring 150+ unique puzzles, customization and extra challenges for each puzzle. Unlock new puzzle packs or customization options by completing puzzles!"
If you've never played it the mechanic is simple and effective: you count numbers and try to get the correct amount of blocks coloured on each line. Simple logic but it takes time to get through.
This has been, without a doubt, one of the nicest experiences I've had with a Nonogram puzzler (some of you probably know it as Picross). I don't want to rehash the things I said about it before, which you can read about here but it really is quite lovely. A very relaxing atmosphere, with some nice little customization progression to give it a bit of a personal touch as you play through it.
A recent update to the game that arrived just before the Steam release also added new content including:
- Added 10 new 'Holidays' themed puzzles
- Added 2 new 'Holidays' themed backgrounds
- Added 2 new 'Holidays' themed tile styles (snowflake and star)
- Added option to disable colors during gameplay
- Added ability to toggle clues by hand (only in non-automated mode)
- Added Steam achievements
- Fixed issue related to delayed sound effects
- Raised price of gashapon machine
- Improved puzzles: Painting, Tea, Crab and Goldfish
Update 17/12/20: a day after this article went live Pixross 1.2 went up adding in a new random puzzle generation feature, so even when you finish the included levels you can keep on going forever. There's also now the ability to pan puzzles to get a better look and to reverse the controls if needed.