Team ADOM and Assemble Entertainment have announced that Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos will be releasing into Early Access in early 2021. On February 11, 2021 it will be supported across Linux, macOS and Windows on Steam. What is it? The sequel to the classic ADOM that they say is a "traditionally-inspired reimaging of the beloved genre and features endless procedurally generated dungeons, monsters, and crafting options, allowing for ultimate replayability".
From the press release:
"To be the person who originated a game with an active and dedicated community since 1994 makes me unbelievably proud," said Thomas Biskup, Creator of ADOM. "After 25 years we will continue the story of ADOM and bring that experience into the modern realm. Ultimate ADOM: Caverns of Chaos offers plenty of depth for seasoned vets of the genre but with all the tweaks, options, and quality of life adjustments that ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience for the contemporary player."
- Depth for Days — Choose from a huge selection of classes, genders, races, and allegiances to mix and match the perfect build for your playstyle
- A Proper Roguelike — Procedurally generated levels, monsters, and items ensure no playthrough is the same
- More Spells Than a Hogwarts Textbook — With multiple specialized schools of magic and more than 100 spells to choose from, dungeon-diving wizards have plenty at their disposal to get them through the darkness
- That’s a Nice Arm You’ve Got There... — Take the severed limbs of your enemies and graft them to your own body, after all, more hands = more weapons to hold
- A Jack of All Trades — With more than 80 skill trees, aspiring dungeon delvers have plenty of choices when it comes to crafting the ultimate warrior, and then there are the dozens of secret skills waiting to be discovered!
- Go Modern or Keep it Classic — Modern graphics or traditional ASCII, the choice is yours! Players can also toggle between 3D mode and top-down view.
As a huge fan of proper roguelikes, you can bet I'll be taking a look at this personally. Nice to see it being upgraded with all sorts of new features and graphics. It won't be replacing the original they already confirmed, as it's a "fully fledged sequel" - so no fear if you prefer the classic.
You can follow it on Steam.