Cyber Shadow from Aarne "MekaSkull" Hunziker and Yacht Club Games is an epic throwback to the likes of Ninja Gaiden and Shadow Of The Ninja and it's out now with Linux support. Nice the see Yacht Club give a hand to another developer, after their success with the Shovel Knight series.
Here's the story and what's up:
"The world has been taken over by the evil Dr. Progen and his merciless synthetic army. A desperate plea for help sets Shadow, the sole survivor of his clan, on one last mission to uncover what started the path to perpetual ruin. Your robotic companion, L-Gion, is your only guide through the ruins of Mekacity. How far will Shadow go to protect his clan and the one he loves? Is there more to their bond than meets the eye? Only you can unlock the secrets to your clan's ancient powers. Hurry before you run out of time! The road to redemption awaits in Cyber Shadow, the quintessential Ninja Action game."
A game that very much demands you use a gamepad, so much so that the publisher Yacht Club detailed a list of what they suggest you try to use. For the PC/Linux version they mentioned the best to use are: Xbox 360 Controller, Xbox One Controller, PlayStation 4 Controller, PlayStation 3 (Dual Shock 3) Controller, 8Bitdo SN30 Pro Controller, Logitech F310 Gamepad - so presumably they've tested all those working nicely with it.
- Experience sharply honed ninja platforming action! Dash, slice, and leap your way through the depths of Mekacity as you explore claustrophobic factories, corrupted research labs, fortified coastlines, vast skyscapes, and more!
- Powered by the lost souls of the ninja clan, Dr. Progen’s army mercilessly hunted down all life forms. As the sole survivor, you must take down more than a dozen apocalyptic bosses, ranging from enormous war machines to your synthetically-enhanced clan rivals.
- Rescue your clan to unlock permanent Ninjutsu skills and abilities. Attack from afar with shurikens and kunai, or get closer by using your double jump, cross slash, or wall slide techniques. Summon fire, charge slashes, parries and much more to realize your true potential.
- Experience a gripping story– told both in-game and through animated cinematic story scenes between the action. Shadow returns from oblivion, hurtling through Mekacity on borrowed time for what will surely be his last mission. It’s unclear what transpired before he met his fate, but his clan was betrayed. What has become of the Clan’s master? Who can be trusted when nothing is as it seems?
- Authentic 8-bit presentation with handcrafted sprites, a detailed pixel aesthetic, and perfect controls. Modern touches like fluid animation, multilayered parallax backgrounds, and evolved game design.
- Pulse-pounding soundtrack by Enrique Martin.
You can buy it on Humble Store, GOG and Steam.
It also works fine with the Steam Controller. The game controls are very responsive, feels really nice.
For now, my only complain is that you cannot duck, like in Ninja Gaiden. So some deaths will taste like cheap shots at you.
See more from me