Pioneer is another classic example of a long-running free and open source game doing well, with a brand new release up that overhauls plenty of important parts.
The Pioneer 2021-02-03 release has been a year in the making and implements their new UI system built on top of the powerful and open source ImGui. They also mentioned vastly improved combat with some aim assist, better trading, you can now actually rotate the camera with the middle mouse button for better camera control and plenty more.
Here's what else is new and you can see just how much went into it:
- New ship: Skipjack Courier from OKB Kaluri (#4871)
- New model: Escape pods (initially only to be scooped up, not purchasable) (#4877)
- Improve combat targeting by adding aim assist for player weapons (#5037)
- Complete overhaul of commodity prices, to be similar to Frontier (#4831)
- Redesign System and Sector Map View layouts (#4852)
- NewUI is dead, long live PiGui! (#5032)
- More lively station traffic control communications (#4987)
- Ship-specific atmospheric pressure limits (#4958)
- Add surface impact alerts #4891
- Captains log added (#4795)
- Show background stars in system view (#5068)
- Show surface starports in system view (#5060)
- Significantly reduce savefile sizes (#5075)
- New BBS advert for soldout commodity (#5059)
That's only what they consider to be major, there's a huge amount of smaller fixes and improvements across the whole game including a new unified colour theme and new icons, stars on the map showing up as bigger and brighter depending on their actual size in space, translation improvements and so on.
See more on the official site.