Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio have announced the next paid expansion and major free upgrade for Imperator: Rome and they're both launching February 16. This has been worked on alongside Paradox Thalassic, a somewhat new studio that was announced formally back in September 2020. Their team has dipped into plenty of PDS titles and they continue to help bring up Imperator too.
Heirs of Alexander, a new Content Pack for Imperator: Rome is the first announcement. Focusing on the successor kingdoms to Alexander the Great’s empire, this Content Pack adds greater depth to playing out the grand ambitions of the Seleucid, Ptolemaic, Antigonid and Macedonian kingdoms.
Here's what it includes:
- Unique Mission Trees: New special mission objectives for the Antigonid Empire in Anatolia, Seleucid Empire in Asia, Ptolemaic Empire in Egypt, Macedonia and Thrace.
- Shared Mission Tree: Diadochi-themed mission objectives available to all of the Successor Kingdoms.
- Wonder Designer: New tool that allows players to build their own custom monuments, adding bonuses to their location or to the entire empire.
- New Events: Various Historical Events based on the history and legacy of Alexander’s followers.
- New Deities: Regional gods and goddesses from the Hellenistic kingdoms.
- New Treasures: Distinctive artifacts from the Hellenistic kingdoms.
- New Music: Three new music tracks to inspire your Successor Kingdom.
The price of this DLC will be around $9.99/£7.19/€9.99.
This content pack will be accompanied by a major free update. The 2.0 ‘Marius’ update to Imperator: Rome is a significant reworking of the military system in the game, adding new features that transform war and army management. Here's the highlights of the free upgrade:
- Levies: Draft levies from your provinces to fight your wars. Their size and composition is based on the cultures and population types in the province.
- Legions: Advance your military technology to create standing, professional military forces to guard your empire. But beware of their cost and tendency to follow disloyal generals.
- Military Histories: Legions and Mercenary units have histories that will list their accomplishments over time, earning honors or penalties based on their legacies.
- Engineers: Special cohort to help with sieges, river crossings and road building.
- Changes to Inventions and Military Traditions: Radically overhauled invention system - unlock new abilities alongside old inventions, and shape your civilization like never before.
- Diadochi War Goals: New large scale conquests available to Hellenistic kingdoms to better model the ambitions of Successor rulers.
- UI Overhaul: Completely reworked interface to make options and decisions more intuitive.
- And much more: New unit models for levy and legion units, new port construction options, changes to forts and deities.
Both go live on February 16.