The community of volunteers building up the next-generation open source multiplayer RPG named Veloren have pushed out another massive release, which includes some big new features. Veloren is a multiplayer voxel RPG written in Rust. It is inspired by games such as Cube World, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft.
It's getting to the stage now where Veloren has quite a lot to see and do, as it continues evolving into a full game experience. This release is quite an important one as it continues laying the ground-work to enable future content and it's worth checking out.
Here's some of the 0.9.0 highlights:
- Added chat commands for inviting, kicking, leaving, and promoting in groups
- Map indicators for group members
- Flying birds travel the world
- Skill trees
- Initial support for alternate style keyboards
- Snow particles
- Basic NPC interaction
- Support for modular weapons.
- Saturation buff (healing from food) now queues
- Coral reefs, kelp forests, and seagrass
- Item stacking and splitting
- Procedural trees (currently only oaks and pines are procedural)
- New bosses in 5 lower dungeons
- New enemies in 5 lower dungeons
- Merchants will trade wares with players
Plus loads more, that's just me cherry-picking a bunch of things that stood out. There's plenty of smaller improvements, lots of bug fixes, performance improvements, world generation updates and so much more. This is easily one of the most promising open source games around. By the end of 2021 I imagine the popularity of it is going to skyrocket.
Download from the official site.