The final free update to Civilization VI is now live although the team appears to be hinting that more may be on the way now the New Frontier Pass is finished.
With the New Frontier Pass the team at Firaxis released a bunch of DLC, with free updates for all players in between. They initially said this update was the last but now their wording is clearly different. They've mentioned it's the "final free update of the season", with season being an interesting word to stick in there hinting that a second pass may come.
An absolutely massive free update it is too full of new units, new maps, and several balance adjustments and gameplay fixes based on player feedback. Here's what's newly added free:
- Trebuchet: Medieval Era Catapult upgrade. Siege promotion class. Upgrades into Bombard. Cannot move and attack on the same turn unless they’ve earned the Expert Crew Promotion.
- Units now replacing this unit: Khmer Domrey.
- Man-At-Arms: Medieval Era Swordsman upgrade. Melee promotion class. Upgrades into Musketman.
- Unique units that will upgrade into this unit: Roman Legion, Kongolese Ngao Mbeba, Macedon Hypaspist, Persian Immortal, Maori Toa, and Gallic Gaesatae.
- Unique units now replacing this unit: Norwegian Berserker, Japanese Samurai, and Georgian Khevsur.
- Line Infantry: Industrial Era Musketman upgrade. Melee promotion class. Upgrades into Infantry.
- Unique units that will upgrade into this unit: Spanish Conquistador and Ottoman Janissary.
- Unique units now replacing this unit: French Garde Imperiale and English Redcoat.
- Mediterranean Large Map: A large map of the greater Mediterranean region with resources, terrain, and features reflecting their historic locations.
- Earth Huge Map: A larger sized representation of Earth with resources, terrain, and features reflecting their historic locations.
- TSL Earth Huge: Civilizations start at the location of their historical capital on the huge Earth map.
- TSL Mediterranean: Civilizations start the location of their historic capital on the large Mediterranean map.
Check out their overview video below:
In this video the Associate Producer even clearly emphasises the word season, so I don't think they can make it clearer without directly saying "more is coming". The full patch notes are ridiculously long too, a lot of work clearly went into this upgrade for everyone.
Quick tip: on Manjaro/Arch you may need this launch option on Steam to run it:
Fedora may need this:
To do this:
- Right-click on the game title under the Library in Steam and select Properties.
- Look for the Launch Options box
- Enter the launch option from above
- Launch it and enjoy
You can buy Civilization VI with Linux support from Humble Store and Steam.
Quoting: Para-GlidingStill don't understand: we need new frontier to access those changes, new units and maps or not?This is a free update as noted, so no extra needed.
Last edited by Purple Library Guy on 23 April 2021 at 11:35 pm UTC
See more from me