Jagged Alliance 2, the classic tactical RPG continues living in modern times thanks to Jagged Alliance 2 Stracciatella, a cross-platform game engine reimplementation.
Like a lot of such projects, the aim is to stick close to the original game to preserve it while making it work better on modern platforms with quality of life updates. JA2 Stracciatella has a GUI launcher, high resolution support, Wildfire support, an integrated editor, a new Dead is Dead game mode, optional bundled mini-mods and much more.
Here's what's new in the 0.18 release:
- Modding improvements
- Several hardcoded values and assumptions are now externalized to additional json files for easy editing (SAM sites, merchants, game items, M.E.R.C. soldiers, sector info, weapon cache location, strategic AI policy, NPC placement)
- Initial scripting support via lua scripts
- Supporting Unfinished Business tilesets
- Support for ogg and mp3 audio formats
- Configurable game speed (set ms_per_time_slice in game.json)
- Self-contained AppImage Linux builds
- Preliminary Android build (beware: not adapted for touch input)
- A chance-to-hit F hotkey
See more on the official site.