Even more glorious retro FPS goodness is coming! Wolfenstein - Blade of Agony, the incredible GZDoom story-driven free game will be getting a brand new release on April 30.
"Blade of Agony is a story-driven FPS. The project is inspired by WWII shooters from the 90's and early 2000's, like Wolfenstein 3D, Medal of Honor, and Call of Duty, but with faster-paced gameplay in the spirit of Doom! The game can be played standalone using the GZDoom engine as a base."
The team has been working for quite some time now on the third chapter, which will be releasing on April 30 along with the first two chapters being remastered for this final update. Check out their new trailer:
Some of what it will feature:
- 30 playable and unique levels in 3 different chapters (plus secret maps)
- Orchestra-quality game music
- Voice acting and ambient soundscapes
- Available in 10 different languages (en, de, fr, it, ru, cz, es², tr², pl², pt²)
- A combination of low-poly models and hi-resolution sprite assets to create the perfect retro feeling
- Devastating armaments from the battlefields of WWII
- Interactive NPCs that support the twisted plot's progress and help you understand the game
- Improved enemy AI for more dynamic and challenging fights
- Beautiful special effects (weather, elements, explosions, etc.)
- Modern post-processing shaders (motion & effect blur, noise, flares, etc.)
- Much, much more!
Recently the czech gaming magazine Score did a preview, and gave it a 92% score. You can read it translated here.
While the developers only put out a Windows standalone, it's just a PAK for the GZDoom game engine. So running it on Linux is as easy as another other Doom-like mod you want to play so we expect no Linux-specific issues at release. You can also use the Snap / Flathub packages.