Little over a year after the successful Kickstarter campaign, Battle Axe, an arcade styled hack and slash inspired by the likes of Golden Axe and Gauntlet. Created by veteran pixel artist Henk Nieborg of Bitmap Bureau and music from the legendary VGM composer Manami Matsumae.
"For as long as you and your people can remember, your homeland of Mercia has been held in the tyrannical clutches of the malevolent sorceress, Etheldred. Some months ago, a party of mercenaries was dispatched to attempt to put a stop to Etheldred and her evil cohorts, but regrettably none of them have ever returned…"
- Single-player or Local Co-op.
- Arcade, Infinite, and New Game+ modes.
- Superlative pixel art by games industry veteran Henk Nieborg.
- Heroic soundtrack by the legendary VGM composer Manami Matsumae.
- An epic adventure for pixel art fanatics, with beautifully designed characters and environments in every frame!
It looks absolutely amazing, and as a huge fan of the old Golden Axe I approve. However, it seems they missed the mark when it comes to the gameplay. Looking around at user reviews and other critic reviews, it appears to be a bit to shallow and repetitive overall. These games always end up repetitive though, they're built on that. Most games are in fact it's what you do with the repetition that matters. The other problem appears to be the length, with some managing to finish it in less than an hour due to only a few stages.
We did put in a request for a review key but no reply yet to see if we agree with what some others have been saying.