Kathy Rain: Director's Cut is looking really slick and with the release coming later this year, we now know you will pay quite a bit less if you owned the original. This brand new version will not only revamp the whole thing with a new game engine (Unity), it will also be supporting Linux unlike the original.
Announced this week was that owners of the original will get a 50% discount on the Director's Cut, and that discount will never go away as they're not setting an expiration date on it. That discount will be on top of any other discount too through a launch sale, and any other seasonal sales. Also see the short new trailer:
"You’ll notice that this is the first time we’ve shown one of the new locations and the bike designs — just a small slice of the new content coming in the Director’s Cut, so be sure to jam that wishlist button like it was a bike throttle!" - Clifftop Games.
Here's what to expect from the new version:
- Extended storyline with a prolonged ending, hundreds of lines of additional dialogue, and multiple new areas to explore.
- Several new major puzzle chains and many small additions and tweaks of existing puzzles.
- Enlarged game environments to fill up the entire screen without any black bars on the sides.
- Made countless visual improvements, such as more character animations, better lighting/shadows, and extra weather effects.
- Streamlined mouse controls with an intuitive single-click interface.
- Controller support done right. Lean back in your chair and take smooth direct control of Kathy, with no messy cursor getting in the way.
- Expanded and remixed soundtrack by the original composer, Daniel Kobylarz.
- Five brand new motorcycle designs to unlock and customize the Katmobile with.