Want to try another quality free and open source game? Veloren is a multiplayer voxel RPG inspired by games such as Cube World, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft. Developed in the fancy Rust coding language, Veloren has grown massively over this last year and it's steadily turning into what could potentially be the next truly big FOSS game.
Some of what's new in this release includes:
- New Skills for Climbing: Climbing Speed and Climbing Cost
- Pickaxes (can be used to collect gems and mine weak rock)
- You can now jump out of rolls for a slight jump boost
- Dungeons now have multiple kinds of stairs.
- Trades now display item prices in tooltips.
- Attacks now emit sound effects from the target on hit.
- Crafting menu tabs
- Auto camera setting, making the game easier to play with one hand
- Topographic map option
- Search bars for social and crafting window
- Villagers and guards now spawn with potions, and know how to use them.
- Combat music in dungeons when within range of enemies.
- One handed weapons can now be used and found in the world
- Players can now opt-in to server-authoritiative physics in gameplay settings.
- Sort inventory button
- Crafting stations in towns
- Missing translations can be displayed in English.
- New large birds npcs
- Day period dependant wildlife spawns
- You can now block and parry with melee weapons
- Lift is now calculated for gliders based on dimensions (currently same for all)
- Specific music tracks can now play exclusively in towns.
- Custom map markers can be placed now
- Mountain peak and lake markers on the map
- Added a minimap mode that visualizes terrain within a chunk.
- Chat tabs
- NPC's now hear certain sounds
That's a small slice of the full and quite long changelog for the 0.10.0 release.
Download from the Veloren website. There's numerous ways to download it from a direct-download with a launcher to keep it up to date, Flatpak, Snap and more. If you do decide to download it today, there's a release party on the official server going on, seems like it could be a lot of fun and the download is quite small still too so it won't take up much space.