Chronicon is a game that I keep on coming back to because it's just so good. A 2D action-RPG in the vein of Diablo made with GameMaker Studio 2 and it works great on Linux. Developer Subworld has managed to carve out something really quite special here, with over five thousand user reviews on Steam giving it an Overwhelmingly Positive score it's easy to see why.
Don't be fooled by how fast it looks, most of the early to mid game is pretty tame.
The big 1.3 update is out now adding in quite a bit, here's some highlights:
- Rare randomly dropped cards that can be handed in to Tarot for weighted TL drops. This will give you an extra chance to get those items that you aren't having any luck with finding randomly.
Lesser Boss Anomalies!
- Fight vs random bosses from the story, featuring all except the final boss of each act.
- These anomalies have a largely increased chance to drop rare crafting materials such as Runelord's Remorse, and start at Mythic 3 difficulty.
Endless Random Anomalies!
- Just like the Endless Dungeon Anomalies, except one floor each, and the portal opens up next to you. Caveat: You can't tier skip with randoms.
24 new enemy variations!
- Based on existing enemies, and appearing in Anomalies. Technically tied to the upcing DLC areas, but we threw these in here to give some more variation for the base game too.
Added a weather system!
- Currently has: snow, sandstorm, rain, and ash/cinders.
- Weather is tied to some story areas and may randomly appear in Anomalies in low-medium intensity to not get in your way while still adding some nice ambiance. (And in DLC content)
That's only just scratching the surface. There's a bunch of performance improvements, UI improvements and much more.
In other Chronicon news, the DLC called Ancient Beasts now has a page up on Steam. No date on when the expansion will release but it already sounds good with a new familiar system that sees you raise Ancient Beasts to follow you along.