Flare is a name I've not heard for a while. It is both an RPG and a game engine for other developers to make their own games and a massive new release is out.
The idea behind Flare as a game engine is to specifically deal with single-player 2D action RPGs. It is not a reimplementation of anything else but a tribute to the whole genre. While the developers also made Flare: Empyrean Campaign to show it off a little.
The changelog is huge which isn't surprising, since this is the first full release in quite a long time. Some of the gameplay updates to the Flare RPG include
- New graphics for HP and MP status bars
- Reworked art for the Cleave power
- Cleave power radius reduced to closer match its artwork
- Reduced the strength and radius of Rakk's freeze attack
- Fixed the Goblin Thief being able to steal potions from a Summoned Zombie
- Reduced the hitbox for spike traps
- Greatly reduced the damage for spike traps. In exchange, the traps now inflict bleeding.
- New alchemy ingredient: Mushrooms
- Added 4 new potion recipes
- Overall reduced drop rates for alchemy items
- Added Alchemy quest
- Added animations for immunity and ice-based slow status effects
- Redesigned the Family Crypt map and quest
- Redesigned the Nazia Mines maps and quest
- Redesigned the Torture Chambers map and quest (again)
- Mortar & Pestle can now be placed on the action bar
- All quest items can be stored in the player's private stash.
There are absolutely tons of Flare game engine improvements too. Far too many to list which you can see in the release notes.