Shattered Pixel Dungeon is a free and open source roguelike RPG that originally had a focus on mobile where it's proven very popular and now it's getting upgrades to come to Steam. Taking a look at how well it's done, on the Android Play Store there's over 80,000 reviews with it seeing an overall 4.7 / 5 stars so it's quite something. However, will that translate into popularity on PC? That's never certain.
For the PC release the developer now has a Steam page live and they've confirmed it will have a native Linux version. One of the major changes coming is an interface overhaul for PC players, which is needed. Other improvements planned include better mouse support, gamepad support and more.
Choose Your Hero
Start the game by choosing a hero, which can be improved and customized as you quest through the dungeon!
- 4 heroes: Warrior, Mage, Rogue, and Huntress. Each hero has a different playstyle.
- 8 subclasses which let successful heroes further specialize their abilities.
- 13 unique lategame abilities that grant special power at the end of a game.
- Over 100 talents, which let you incrementally power up your hero as you level up.
Explore the Dungeon Depths
Every run though the dungeon is different, with randomized layouts, enemy placement, and items!
- 5 distinct dungeon regions over 26 floors, each with their own enemies and room layouts.
- Over 60 enemies, 30 traps, and 5 detailed bosses to test your skills.
- Over 100 equipment items, including powerful wands, rings, weapons, and armor.
- Over 150 regular items to find and craft, each with their own uses.
You can find the source code on GitHub, and it should compile fine to play on Linux already but without any of the upcoming improvements. The developer also mentioned they plan to put it up on itch.io at some point too.