Looks like the next version of the free and open source strategy game Warzone 2100 is going to be a big one. Two new highlight features are coming to the game with spectators and replays.
When it comes to being a spectator, this opens up Warzone 2100 to allow people to watch a game in progress. This could easily open up the game to more competitive play, twitch livestreams, help teach people to play and more. The way they've explained that it will work is with dedicated spectator spots, with them being able to chat together and see the whole map.
Linking in with that is also a replay feature, allowing you to play back an entire match. This gives players the ability to capture fun moments, figure out where you want wrong, share it with others and also helps to show off bugs in the game too and this feature was built on top of the spectator support.
Current highlights of Warzone 2100 version 4.2.0 Beta:
- Add Ultimate Scavengers to the game
- Spectator slots for multiplayer games
- Replay functionality for skirmish / multiplayer
- Headless / autohost enhancements, spectator stats, lobby chat slash commands
- Return units to mobile turrets & better distribute around multiple repair points
- Update camBalance for Gamma (Campaign rebalance is basically complete)
- Add new random maps “DustyMaze”: one 2-player and two 4-player maps
- Use a stable config directory for release builds
- Implement remove from group shortcut
- Major revision to the Blender 2.9x .PIE file addon
- Multiplayer balance changes (see full changelog)
- Fix: Orders from Commanders after loading saves
- Fix: Don’t reveal artillery unless the CB tower is completely built
- Fix: Sensors logic under commander so attaching them isn’t useless
- Fix: Only play “assigned to commander” sound if group is not full
- Fix: Don’t block ready status button when player clicks ready too fast
- Fix: Primary AA turret units not attacking things if the Secondary could, among other fixes
- Fix: Don’t crash with JumpToResourceExtractor keybind after level reload
- And many other bug & crash fixes