Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone with no article paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.

Love the Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition from Beamdog and want to make it look just that little bit more modern? Beamdog has your answer now.

After years of work, Beamdog has now released a free HD Models & Textures Pack for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition that gives a visual boost to player character models and their equipment (including armour, weapons and shields). The newer models now support "normal and spec information", plus they can be further modded by the community just the the base game.

Currently, it's only available as a direct external download from the Beamdog website. Hopefully at some point they will put it up on Steam as some sort of free DLC to make it easier for players. Or perhaps another more open modding platform like mod.io. At least this way as a plain download for now, buyers from all PC stores can access it easily.

Beamdog note that lower-end machines may struggle with this extra pack. Following up in a forum post a few pages in on Steam, they mentioned "It's not an optional DLC via Steam because this is still WIP, and using the updated models can lead to performance issues on those PCs that are low-end but can run basic NWN:EE just fine" so it's entirely possible they may eventually make it easier to add in.

Wonderful to see such long-term commitment to an RPG gem.

You can pick up Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition from GOG and Steam.

21 Likes
We do often include affiliate links to earn us some pennies. We are currently affiliated with GOG and Humble Store. See more here.

Arcadius-8606 3 days ago

Harfbuzz version too old error.
slaapliedje 3 days ago
  • Supporter Plus
Quoting: Arcadius-8606Anyone have the beamdog client installed properly? Thought I would give this some support and it's a no good install for POP OS 21.04.

Harfbuzz version too old error.

This way a new package automatically gets built with the correct dependencies. Problem is getting the build server to handle the main distributions.
Arcadius-8606 3 days ago
Quoting: slaapliedjeYeah, this is one of the issues with how people package things. It makes more sense to have a build server set up. Create a repo for the current distributions at time for release, then add a new repo as they come out, and have some post install stuff for upgrades.

I just put in for a refund. This is too much work for me. I was hoping to have something easy RPGs-ish to setup for family while they are visiting since most of my library is arena shooters and arcade fighters.
soulsource 3 days ago
Quoting: slaapliedje

Harfbuzz version too old error.

Building games can take hours. If you want to do a separate build for all major distributions, that's a massive waiting time...

I'd rather package once on Debian Stable and then just test if the built package installs on other distros.
In addition, I'd do what Unity does, and link a lot of libraries statically. Not all, of course, only those where it makes sense from an upgrade- and security-standpoint. For applications packaged by the distributor static linkage is not a good idea, but for standalone programs packaged by someone outside the distribution I think the advantages (being independent of system library versions, no need to integrate with the package manager,...) outweigh the disadvantages (higher RAM usage, higher HDD usage, responsibility for security updates,...).

Last edited by soulsource on 26 November 2021 at 8:20 am UTC
drmoth 3 days ago
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: SirBubbles
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: whizseBoy did they release this right on time, I was planning to start my first ever playthrough this evening!
I had a wizard I played all the way from 1st to 14th.. Then got sort of stuck... and then of course lost my save game so I have to start over on the main campaign... At least now I think they have cloud saves!

I must be weird, I liked the original campaign qnd thought it was decent. Hordes of the Underdark I belive was the sequel to it, qnd you had to start at a higher level.

What is a crying shame is that Legends of the Swordcoast (i think that was the name of that game) was so far from being a proper replacement for NWN.

The main campaign definitely isn't as good, both the original DLC were much , much better.
Still, I'm thinking of doing a main playthrough as I never finished it.
drmoth 3 days ago
Quoting: whizse
Quoting: SirBubblesBased on my very old experience with what passes for NWN's single player, is it still even worth it? I thought everyone did NWN for the mods or expansion packs. Hordes of the Underdark was pretty decent, if I recall.
I do hope it stands the test of time. I've been waiting for quite a while to try it out.

Also, I need something to take my mind of disease, pandemics, quarantine and lockdowns. I'm sure this will be just the thing for that!

Last edited by drmoth on 26 November 2021 at 9:37 am UTC
whizse 2 days ago
Quoting: drmothSorry to disappoint you, but the main campaign of NWN is about a pandemic - a disease outbreak :D
I'll admit I actually knew that going in, I was setting myself up for the joke

I did find it funny that the cure for the disease in the game involves a bat. Well, a Cockatrice, so part bat.
soulsource 2 days ago
Stupid question:
The HD textures seem to be breaking shadow casting for me. Anyone else has this issue?
slaapliedje a day ago
  • Supporter Plus
Quoting: soulsource
Quoting: slaapliedje

Harfbuzz version too old error.

This is about the distribution clients, not the game itself.
slaapliedje a day ago
  • Supporter Plus
Quoting: whizse
I'll admit I actually knew that going in, I was setting myself up for the joke

Sounds like maybe we need to find the four monsters to get rid of Covid.

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!