OpenRCT2 continues being an impressive free and open source game engine reimplementation for RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, allowing you to play it nicely cross-platform on modern systems.
v0.3.5 is out now bringing new features. Here's the main highlights:
- Feature: [#3868] Initial support for using TTF in OpenGL mode (still contains bugs).
- Feature: [#7682] Follow ride/guest/staff in main window viewport.
- Feature: [#13407] Allow building chain lifts on enclosed dinghy slide pieces when cheats are on.
- Feature: [#15084] [Plugin] Add "vehicle.crash" hook.
- Feature: [#15143] Added a shortcut key for Giant Screenshot.
- Feature: [#15164] Highlight elements selected by the Tile Inspector, tracks are currently not supported.
- Feature: [#15165] [Plugin] Add the ability to create entities using "map.createEntity".
- Feature: [#15194] [Plugin] Add guest properties, ride downtime and park casualty penalty.
- Feature: [#15195] Added a bug-report item in file dropdown menu.
- Feature: [#15294] New vehicle animation type: flying animal.
Absolutely loads of bugs were fixed too including solving memory leaks, crashes, rendering issues and much more.
From what one of the developers told us over email, another release is planned to arrive soon bringing a new save format "which drops limitations tied to SV6, the original save game format". Looks like there's a lot of improvements that will come with it and the developer said they "can't wait for the new parks done with this".
You can find OpenRCT2 here and to make it easy they have pre-built versions for Linux like an AppImage to run cross-distro. You also need to grab the required data files from RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 by buying a copy of the original on GOG or Steam.