A weird love-child mixture of games like Minecraft, Stardew Valley and Terraria we have Necesse that's currently in Early Access and a Linux version is now available. On Monday, December 20 the next major update of the game landed which overhauled and improved many parts of the game and gave us a surprise with support for both Linux and macOS.
Developed by Mads Skovgaard who goes under the alias Fair, Necesse originally started off as a hobby game but eventually progressed into something that Skovgaard was able to work full time on and it is yet another impressive example of what a solo developer / tiny team can do. Looks like it will scratch a good itch for crafting and exploration fans. Check out the trailer:
- Play alone or with friends – Necese can be played solo or with multiple players with scaled bosses.
- Change up your build any time – your character is never locked to one build, allowing you to mix and match and find the best setup for the situation.
- Explore the infinite procedurally generated world of Necesse with many different bosses, biomes, cave systems and dungeons. Go underground, find treasure and trade with villages.
- Craft armor, weapons, potions, food and more to prepare your character for the next challenge.
- Start your settlement and recruit settlers to work for you. Keep them happy and fight off threats that want to invade your settlement.
- Build a farm, go fishing and supply yourself with food and powerful potions and buffs that will help you progress through the game.
- Tons of quality of life features like inventory sorting/managing, vicinity crafting, smart mining, auto door and more.
- Find, collect and style up with cosmetics, pets and mounts.
- Create circuit networks and traps to kill incoming enemies.
- Host a dedicated server for you and your friends to play on.
Picking up a copy for myself today, I can at least confirm for now it all works as expected and it does seems quite sweet. May have more thoughts on it as it's further developed and when I can spend more time with it.
Available to buy on Steam. It's 50% off until January 3, 2022.