Ending 2021 with quite the bang, the unofficial Epic Games Store app Heroic Games Launcher put up a big new release improving lots of features.
One of the major annoyances previously was the login system, that used an external browser and needed some copy / pasting to actually get in. That's been replaced with a new system that directly interfaces with the Epic Store making it much simpler to get going. There's also a new design for the app, with it using a sidebar instead of a navbar along the top which does look quite a bit nicer.
Some of the other improvements include:
- The Store will auto-login if you use the new login system (won't do it if you already logged in on Heroic. Also, if you want to log out from Heroic, log out of the Store first, otherwise Heroic will log in again using your credentials on the store since both pages use the same cookies.
- Changed how games are installed. Now both the Game page and the game card will open the same Installation Dialog with the path to choose where to install or a button to import a game.
- Unreal marketplace is hidden by default now, there is a toggle in the settings to show it. (don't do that if you have a big selection of assets, right now Heroic freezes if you have 2000 assets or more, if this happens, edit the config file manually and set the option to false then restart Heroic.
- Game Logs now will contain system information (hardware, SO, etc) and the game settings.
- Added buttons to Clear Heroic Cache and Reset Heroic completely.
- Adds Estonian, Finnish, Bulgarian and Farsi languages.
- [MacOSX] Support for Native games installation. With a new platform filter.
- [Windows] Support for Game Shortcuts
- [Linux] Added Wine prefix selection on game install
- Improved accessibility to navigate the interface with only a keyboard
- Legendary updated to v0.20.22
- Several refactors, improvements, and optimizations lead Heroic to consume fewer resources like CPU and RAM. On Linux, Heroic consumes around 100MB or ram while on Windows it uses around 200MB.
You can download from the GitHub page.
According to the main developer on Twitter, getting Flatpak supported for Heroic installs is planned.