Ready for 2022, the OBS team is preparing a major new release of the free and open source livestreaming and recording software OBS Studio.
OBS Studio 27.2 has two Beta versions out bringing in some major new features. For Linux users, it's a big one too as it brings along our previously reported plans for official Flatpak support. This means users of any Linux distribution will be able to grab the officially supported package with all the bells and whistles.
Some of what's new includes:
- Added AJA source for AJA devices [DDRBoxman/AJA Team]
- Added AJA output to tools menu for AJA devices [DDRBoxman/AJA Team]
- Added the ability to set different blend modes to sources via the source right-click context menu (similar to Photoshop’s layer blending for example) [jw0z96]
- Added AOM AV1 and SVT-AV1 encoders (note that these are currently considered experimental, work best with CPUs that have many cores, and are only accessible for recording in advanced output mode) [Jim]
- Added an OBS hotkey for browser sources to allow refreshing a browser source via that hotkey [gxalpha]
- Added hotkey filter search [furious]
- Added hotkey duplicate detection [furious/Jim]
- Added a warning dialog when switching profiles that have settings changes that require a restart [offthegrid-mike]
- Added a “Show active outputs warning on exit” option in advanced settings, which allows you to enable/disable the confirmation dialog on exit while recording/streaming [bobvandevijver]
- Added support for the RIST protocol [pkv]
- Added official Flatpak support for Linux [GeorgesStavracas]
- Added framework for future support of background hotkeys on Wayland [kkartaltepe]
Plenty of other smaller tweaks came with it like an upgrade to the CEF version used, the Window Capture on Linux is now sorted alphabetically, Twitch panels match the OBS theme for dark / light mode and more robust PipeWire Capture support for Linux.
See more on the GitHub and test from their Flatpak using these commands:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo
flatpak install flathub-beta com.obsproject.Studio
Once it's out of Beta, installing will be easier as it will be on the main branch.