For those just getting into Linux and / or people who will be testing out the Steam Deck, GOverlay can be a bit of a lifesaver to help configure some extra tools like MangoHud. Giving you a nice UI instead of diving into configuration files, it's saved me a whole bunch of time.
GOverlay version 0.8 was just released recently. Here's what's changed:
- NEW: Mangohud - Display gamepad controllers battery status (needs xone driver for xbox one and series X controllers)
- NEW: Mangohud - Preconfigure color themes (Mangohud default, Simple White, Old Afterburner, Intel + Nvidia, Intel + Radeon, AMD + Nvidia, AMD + Radeon)
- NEW: Mangohud - Added option FPS_Only to display only FPS value. Issue #192
- NEW: Mangohud - Added Minimal quick layout with only fps and frametime
- FIX: Global enable method updated. Issue #186
- FIX: Mangohud - Colors from colorsbuttons resemble but doesn't matched the stock mangohud. Now they do.
- FIX: Removed the lines "exec=echo" from baterry config. It seems it were causing steam errors. Issue #178
- FIX: Custom FPS field was locked to 200. Now the maximum value is 999. Issue #172
- FIX: Added Dependency checker for Breeze-theme
- CHANGE: Changed cpuload color 2 to a lighter orange tone: old $000078FF , new $007FAAFF
- CHANGE: Preconfigure layouts now instantly save the new options and update previews
- CHANGE: Now a “Config saved” message is also displayed next to the save button. It disapear on mouse enter the mangohud panel.
Speaking to the developer on Twitter, they told me clearly that getting it up on Flathub is currently a priority, as that will enable easy testing on the Steam Deck since that's the built-in way to install new software in desktop mode (covered in an article).