The free and open source retro FPS game engine, GZDoom, has a brand new release available with some big new features.
GZDoom is the game engine that started off life as a simple enhanced port of the Doom engine for modern platforms, since the original release it has massively grown and now powers some pretty interesting games — why reinvent the wheel after all when GZDoom has a lot to offer.
Pictured - Aliens: Eradication running on Linux with GZDoom
With the GZDoom 4.8.0 release they've added:
- HUD scaling from Raze (Raze is a fork of Build engine games backed by GZDoom tech and combines Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Redneck Rampage, Shadow Warrior and Exhumed/Powerslave in a single package).
- Menu scale adjustments for ultra-wide aspect ratios.
- Cut-scene system from Raze.
- Discord Rich Presence support.
- Tons of modding improvements and fixes.
- Performance improvements for both OpenGL and Vulkan.
- JPEG YCCK decoding support.
- A finished Hungarian translation.
- + loads more.
Some you may have missed, popular articles from the last month:
See more from me