Looks like Valve are really back in action on updating Team Fortress 2, with a fresh update out now and it's quite big compared to previous patches.
As the bot problem continues on, Valve previously said on the official TF2 Twitter "TF2 community, we hear you! We love this game and know you do, too. We see how large this issue has become and are working to improve things." and this is the third update released since then.
Thanks to the updates, the popularity of TF2 has exploded on Steam once again with it regularly seeing over 130,000 online playing together, although it's probable a good portion are bots and bot makers trying to get around the latest changes.
Here's what landed in the July 7th patch:
- Several fixes to address exploits and stability issues
- Added a game server setting, "net_chan_limit_msec", which allows server operators to limit amount of processing time the game server can spend on processing packets for each client per tick. Clients that send packets causing server CPU processing time to exceed configured number of milliseconds will be kicked from the game server.
- Added a game server setting, "net_chan_stats_dump" which, when enabled, will dump statistics of each network channel when that network channel is closed. Statistics include messages, bandwidth, and CPU processing time breakdown.
- Added a game server setting, "tf_fall_damage_disablespread", to disable random fall damage (default: 0)
- Fixed not being able to adjust the offset for a cosmetic item's Unusual effect
- Fixed some players seeing [unknown] for their player name
- Fixed broken transparency on cosmetics
- Fixed lag compensation when melee-ing teammates
- Fixed not being able to hit a player's hitbox if it extends outside the player's bounding box during an animation
- Fixed jiggle bones rendering in the loadout and item previews
- Fixed the Iron Bomber's projectile collision size not matching other projectile collision sizes
- Fixed ConVar buttons flickering after being clicked to toggle the value
- Fixed The Shortstop shove showing as self-inflicted damage
- Fixed Mini-Sentry guns not triggering damage alerts in the HUD
- Fixed net_disconnect_reason affecting disconnect messages on the client
- Fixed Medi Gun charges expiring too early if a server forces add_uber_time
- Fixed network edicts being used for server-side-only entities
- Updated mat_picmip to allow values below -1
- Updated/Added some tournament medals
- Updated the localization files
- Updated Mann vs. Machine
- Fixed not being able to kick Spectators
- Fixed bots not displaying the correct names
- Fixed the loading screen backgrounds on Valve servers
- Fixed Übercharge charge rate and duration upgrade not working for the Vaccinator
- Updated Arena mode
- Fixed players being able to late-join the game
- Fixed players on team Unassigned being able to kill other players