Need more Football in your life? Yes, I said Football, get over it. Pixel Cup Soccer - Ultimate Edition is officially out now along with Native Linux support. This game took over from Pixel Cup Soccer 17, which the developer unlisted on Steam, as this big new version is quite different as the developer said "the essence of the new game is the same, the technological differences are huge".
It recently left Early Access and it is also Steam Deck Verified, so could be a good one to look at for you sports fans, especially with the latest FIFA being unsupported (and it has a Mostly Negative rating). This definitely looks promising with a Very Positive user rating too.
- Simplified Controls For Casual Players.
- Easy to pick up and enjoy, with clean and challenging gameplay.
- Retro-style art resembling old games and evoking nostalgia.
- Women’s Soccer.
- Penalties, Free Kicks.
- Fouls, injuries, yellow and red cards.
- Tactical and Strategy panels, to manage player substitutions, team formation, and attitude.
- Deep gameplay mechanics: short pass, through pass, lob pass, aiming when shooting, controlled shots, player skills, super shots, etc.
- Lots of Animations (overhead kick, scorpion kick, scissor kick, diving header, etc.)
- Challenging AI. Teams with very different playing styles (ie: Catenaccio like Italy or Tiki-Taka like Brasil).
- Many game settings, including Zoom Level, VSync, Slow motion, Assisted mode, Language Selection, etc.
Growing up playing the likes of Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga, this game definitely ticks a lot of nostalgia boxes for me.
Available to buy on Steam. There is also a demo available too!
- older versions of eFootball / Pro Evolution Soccer (up to 21)
- older versions of FIFA (up to 22)
But in most cases you gotta get a Steam key from a third-party. Those old titles are unlisted from Steam.
Also, I wouldn't say no to a modern clone of Sensible Soccer...
So, here you go: The game has got a Linux demo!
Last edited by TapocoL on 19 October 2022 at 5:36 pm UTC
Extra brownie points to the developers for displaying the correct button icons for my Dual Shock and not assuming everything is an Xbox controller.
I still think Sensible Soccer is one of the best Soccer game series...... So I might be a bit out of touch
Quoting: KimyrielleWe need more replacements for EA games. :)If you are looking for a EA Madden replacement I can highly recommend Sunday Rivals while it does not have a Linux port........ It works a-ok with Proton......
If I play any football game on PC then I go Retro all the time. No need to remember 8 different button combinations.
Old fan of Street Sports Basketball back in the C64 years.
See more from me