OpenRCT2 is a free and open source game engine reimplementation for RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, upgrading many parts of it and making it work well cross-platform on modern systems.
Not only does it work better on modern platforms it also adds in an improved interface, improved guest and staff AI, more editing tools, increased limits, and cooperative multiplayer. It also re-introduces mechanics from RollerCoaster Tycoon that were not present in RollerCoaster Tycoon 2.
Some of the highlights from Version 0.4.2 includes:
- Ability to load .SV6 files from RCT Classic that have more than 9601 guests.
- Fully support RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic as a RCT2 base install path.
- Add new track elements for Flying Coaster and Lay-Down Coaster and add paint code for more elements.
- Ride operating settings can be set via text input.
- Added Zero G rolls, medium loops and large corkscrews to the Hybrid and Single-Rail coasters.
- Add three real-life flying roller coaster colour schemes.
- Add “Classic Wooden Coaster” with shallow banked turns.
- Staff members now wait for passing or stalled vehicles before crossing railway tracks.
- Add additional pirate roofs.
- Add additional glass roofs.
- Add the Steel Roller Coaster train and 2-across Inverted Train from RollerCoaster Tycoon 1.
- Add asset pack manager and asset packs.
- Park and scenario names can now contain up to 128 characters.
- Add support for rectangular heightmaps.
- + much more and lots of bug fixes
Getting it running on Linux is nice and simple too since they offer an official AppImage and there's also a Flatpak available via Flathub.