Excuse me for being overly hyped about this one but HECK YES! Streets of Rogue 2 is coming along in development, with a Steam page up now.
The first game was actually fantastic, Streets of Rogue is up there as one of my all-time favourite indie games that we've livestreamed many times over the years here. It's also one of the best reviewed games on Steam, sitting firmly in the top 250 with an Overwhelmingly Positive rating from over 12,000 users.
As for Streets of Rogue 2, it's going to be much bigger with an open-world and overall quite a different game but taking some of the best bits of the first one.
- Play the game YOUR way! Don’t want to kill anybody? That’s cool! Want to hack computers? Got ya covered! In the mood for some laid-back mineral grinding or carrot farming? Go for it!
- Endless replayability! Whether you want to pick up and play for an hour or sit down and binge for nine, Streets of Rogue 2’s randomly generated worlds and massive gameplay variety will quickly make it one of your go-to “forever games”.
- Easy to learn, tough to master! Streets of Rogue 2 is user-friendly enough for anyone to jump in and play, and has enough complexity and depth to satiate the hardcore among us.
- Online and local cooperative modes! Build your empire together, or make your own unique marks on opposite sides of the game world!
- Play as a large number of wildly different character classes! Scientist, hacker, vampire, thief, wrestler, gorilla… or some oddball combination of all of these!
- Super-advanced artificial intelligence! Remember that your actions have consequences for your reputation as you gain the favor or ire of these virtual humans.
- Stupidly huge variety of items! Shrink rays, hypnotizing devices, boomboxes, bear traps, banana peels... Oh, and lots of guns, too.
- Build your dream home! Or dream fortress! Or dream cave! Or dream shack! Or steal someone else’s home! Or sleep under the stars, the game just doesn’t care!
- Vehicles! Load up your posse of ne’er-do-wells into a van, drive solo in a souped-up coupe, glide across the water in your very own speedboat, or tinker around and create your own personal fantasy ride.
- Extreme customization! Whether you want an ultra-challenging permadeath experience or a chilled-out good time, a quick jaunt or a world you can play in for dozens of hours, the game lets you tailor the experience to your exact liking.
"Streets of Rogue 2 is a procedurally generated open-world game about player choice, freedom, and anarchic fun. The game takes inspiration from open-world and crafting/survival titles ranging from Skyrim to GTA to Valheim to Stardew Valley, with an emphasis on streamlined and fast-paced gameplay. It also adds the free-form, experimentation-driven, emergent elements of RPGs like Deus Ex to create a true sandbox experience."
It will have full Linux support too, just like the first game. Noted in the FAQ:
Initially, the game will be released on PC, Mac and Linux. At some point later, the game will be released on Xbox, Playstation and Switch consoles.
Due out next year, you can follow it on Steam.