The latest Steam Client Beta replaces the old Big Picture Configurator for individual games, with the one from the Steam Deck and it's quite an improvement.
Big Picture mode was always slow, wanted full-screen and was generally a nuisance on desktop. The new one from the Steam Deck, that should eventually replace Big Picture entirely is much more fluid, can be resized and allows you to easily move the window around. It is a big improvement in just interacting with it as a whole.
Click screenshots to enlarge them.
To be clear, this is available via the right click -> manage -> controller layout menu on individual games. Valve has not yet replaced it for the generic controller settings from the main Steam settings area. Amusingly, they haven't quite ripped out all of the Steam Deck specific language yet though with a few screens just straight-up from the Deck (woops).
Full patch notes:
- Improve responsiveness to changes in the local network connection
- Remove “Connecting to Steam…” delay when starting a game without any local network connection
- Make client connection logic of new authentication more consistent with the legacy system, reducing post-authentication connection errors
- Updated “Steam News” popup dialog
- Improved login times for users with large libraries
- Added showing if you have unlocked an achievement that your friend recently unlocked when hovering over achievements in the activity feed
- Enabled automatic spelling correction for store and library search results
- Updated the desktop version of the Controller Configurator to use the new interface rather than the Big Picture version. This includes a visual update to the UI, more accessible terminology, improved visualizations of deadzones, and a new interface for setting up virtual menus w/ previews in the UI.
- Improved support for third-party PS3/PS4/PS5 controllers
- Added support for the HORI Fighting Commander OCTA (Xbox Series X and PS versions)
- Added support for the Qanba Drone Arcade Stick
- Touch controls can now be toggled while streaming
- Fixed incorrect mouse click position for direct mouse touchscreen mode
- Fixed crash when the performance graph is enabled with some languages