You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
We do often include affiliate links to earn us some pennies. See more here.

It seems with all the people emulating games on the Steam Deck and how popular doing so has become, Nintendo has continued to take notice and fired off some DMCA requests to have images taken down (thanks GBAtemp).

To get started with: what is SteamGridDB? It's a website that hosts various images for various games, to help you add fancy artwork into Non-Steam games you add into your Steam Library. So instead of seeing Steam's default image for Non-Steam games, you get it all looking nice. Naturally, this means people will be uploading plenty of images they don't own, and often the official game images for various games on other platforms for when people are doing emulation.

Nintendo being clearly unhappy with this, fired off many DMCA requests and now you might spot several images across the likes of (each link an example of one removed): Pokémon Scarlet, Pokémon Violet, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Super Mario Odyssey, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

It's not just for emulation though, it has game pictures for tons of games that you can use as an alternative to the official images included with Steam.

Tags: Emulation, Meta, Steam
13 Likes

romatthe 4 days ago
  • New User
Most of the artwork available on SteamGridDB (I'd wager) is not at all related to Nintendo. Most of it is for PC games. I don't think a single dev or publisher has ever issued a DMCA takedown for someone having posted a bit of fan artwork to put in your Steam library. I use this site all the time, but I use it only for my older games in my Steam library that don't have artwork in the new "vertical" style, or when devs replace the old artwork with new ones to advertise a new update or patch (I really hate that).

Honestly, this is just shitposting in legal form by Nintendo (although the legality of abusing the DMCA this way is murky at best).
Arcadius-8606 4 days ago
I took a step away from emulation as a whole because I see myself using their games as still a win for them even if I got them for free because of stuff like this. I think ppl that really don't like this should consider not being patron in any format and just advocate or showcase other devs that don't take this stance when it comes to ROMs.
JustinWood 4 days ago

As for the article title suggesting that they are doing this specifically because of people emulating their titles on the deck, while that may perhaps be case, it's a little presumptive. I'd imagine someone on their legal team came across it while looking for something to justify their continued employment and they jumped on it.

That being said, this is just my two cents, make of it what you will.
Shmerl 4 days ago
Nintendo is so infamous for being a copyright bully, that even if it's a legitimate claim in this case, they'll be ridiculed for it. Their reputation precedes them.

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 November 2022 at 11:46 pm UTC
Pengling 3 days ago
Quoting: Purple Library GuySo, like, one question in my mind . . . is Nintendo making this stuff available in any other way? Can you buy the games from Nintendo? I'm thinking probably not.
Can't comment on everything they might've targetted, but the games listed in the GOL article are all recent (last five years) or brand-new releases, and all are currently available.
officernice 3 days ago
Blizzard and Nintendo. On the tippity top of companies who won't get a dime from me ever again.
ElectricPrism 3 days ago

You know... like Valve when they took HL2 Mod Remake of HL1 Black MESA and literally brought it on to their store, sold it and reinvested the money into making it better.

I havent played a Nintendo game or purchased a Nintendo console in many years -- their IP should have "grown" with me/us as we got older -- and they didn't.

They really are out of touch with their market and have thrown out 30 -50 year old manchilds with disposable income able to buy $2,000 Graphics Cards to cater exclusively to 12 year olds.

Their fiscal market logic makes ZERO cents.
Lightkey 3 days ago
Quoting: JustinWoodI must admit I'm rather surprised by the replies I'm seeing on here. I'm not a fan of Nintendo's fondness for litigation and threatening folks with legal action by any means, but I think people are misunderstanding what's happening here. If they're taking down fanart, then yes, they're on shaky ground at best, but if it's official box art, renders, anything like that (and speaking as a Canadian, not a lawyer), they own that and they may very well be within their right to request it be removed.

You mean like this?
In the famous bleem! case, they won (after appealing) the right to show screenshots under fair use yet Nintendo is the only company that goes after let's players streamers since they reject the existence of fair use. Doesn't make it right.
CringyBoi42069 3 days ago

All of these games are Switch games that you can buy still makes no sense to go after images
BlackBloodRum 3 days ago
Quoting: ElectricPrismIf only Nintendo was smart enough to take consumer interest in their products and convert it into money.

Their fiscal market logic makes ZERO cents.

While I personally don't support Nintendo for numerous reasons; I think one point you're missing here is that Nintendo was never entirely aimed at children.

If you consider early Nintendo, the games may seem childish to some; but a very large portion of their customer base was in fact adults who were enjoying those games even if some of whom may have found said games childish. It should be noted also that a portion of said customer base were children of course and said children still play Nintendo games.

Having games that may appear childish is what defines the "Nintendo" style. To clarify, my point here is that Nintendo's largest customer base enjoy said "childish" games, and for them it is not a problem.

This can easily be observed simply by their sales numbers; the switch being of poor quality (even for a Nintendo console) still outsold the PS5 and Xbox X.

Thus, while their method may be different than most, it certainly seems to be working for them.

What's not working however, is their constant tactics of turning against their core customer base turning them away with actions such as what this article mentions.

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!