The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, in case you haven't heard, is getting a free next-gen update releasing on December 14th and it might make it even better on Steam Deck.
While it is already Steam Deck Verified, a few additions to the new version sound like they might improve it. The big one is FSR 2.1, which should allow you to get some better performance and battery life with it. It's worked wonders for other games, like Dying Light 2 and Cyberpunk 2077. Another nice addition is the ability to scale up subtitles, dialogue text and NPC chatter (things all games should have!).
Some of what's been announced includes:
- Improved visuals - Ray Tracing, improved Screen Space Reflections, improved foliage, better textures and more visual improvements are coming to the game. Enjoy them to the fullest thanks to FSR 2.1 and DLSS 3 support!
- Camera, controls and UI changes - Rediscover the Continent from a new perspective — we've added an alternative camera option that'll bring you closer to the action. Combined with the alternative Quick Sign Casting option, map filtering and the option to dynamically hide the minimap, it will make exploration even more exciting than before!
- Photo mode - Capture the moment with the added photo mode! Does that mean there will be a The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt photo mode contest in the near future? Maybe.
- Integrated mods - We've included some community-made favourites in addition to our own modifications.
- Quest fixes - You've been asking for them — and we couldn't say no! The next-gen update has also been an opportunity to revisit some of the issues in the quests. The free next-gen update brings fixes to From Ofier's Distant Shores, Scavenger Hunt: Wolf School Gear and more!
- Netflix DLC -We have a very special treat for all of the fans of the Netflix show! Enjoy alternative looks for Dandelion and Nilfgaardian soldiers, as well as a new quest, inspired by the show, where you'll be able to get diagrams for new equipment for Geralt. What's the quest? Shhh! No spoilers!
- Cross-progression - A feature you know from Cyberpunk 2077 — play the game how you like, wherever you like and carry over your latest save between platforms.
Maybe I'll finally do a full play-through thanks to all these additions coming. Sounds quite exciting! Nice to see that's it's going to be a free update too, not some kind of "remastered" edition you have to pay extra for.