OpenTTD is a free and open source sim based on the classic Transport Tycoon Deluxe, and the team have announced a new release is coming with a first Beta. While based on TTD, OpenTTD had a wide array of improvements including bigger maps, better multiplayer, dedicated servers, better AI and so much more.
Version 13.0 has a first Beta release out with these highlights:
- Build NewGRF objects over an era with click-and-drag.
- You can purchase land multiple tiles at a time.
- Wider rivers on map generation.
- Improved handling of HiDPI and mixed-DPI screens.
- Improved layout of the finance window.
- Some more GUI improvements like a cleaned up finance window.
- Many bug-fixes (over 50 of them), tweaks, changes, and other additions.
One of the biggest and longest-running open source games, OpenTTD is simply magnificent for those that love the classics. A good reminder it exists if you somehow haven't heard of it.